CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 17, 2008

I Heart Masters Class

As much as I've always recognized Masters class was good for my swimming, I have to admit I've often found myself driving to it with mixed emotions. I looked forward to seeing Ironwoman Canada and working out with my friends (TRIgirls are literally taking over the pool - sometimes occupying up to 2-3 lanes!). But, the 6:30 pm start time meant most weeks I'd just finished a stressful day at work. There have been several occasions I've had to use all my willpower to not allow my car to take me home instead of the Y.

Then there was the apprehension of being the slowest. And looking like a spaz during drills. And feeling the panic and discomfort when gasping for air during sprints.

But this year has been different. I'm finding that even if I arrive to class a bit weary and tired - within a few minutes of swimming I am happy again - and enjoying most of the sets.

Yesterday, for whatever reason, I really liked the workout. Maybe because it was the first time I came within 50 meters of doing the entire swim practice posted. Yes, I stayed a few extra minutes and drafted off the super strong TRIgirl BL - but I finished my longest distance in Masters class to date - 2750 meters.

Or maybe it was because I found myself (almost) looking forward to the change of pace when we hit the sprint sets. Interspersed between 300s and 100s were 3 sets of 6x25 sprints. I remember, not so long ago, when doing 1 set of 4x25 sprints just about did me in. (OK, I have to fess up here - one of my 6x25s was actually a 4x25 - hence the missed 50 - I ended up getting behind a confused swimmer and Ironwoman Canada let me sit out for 2 25s until the group caught up.)

But maybe it all just comes down to mere emotions. Like this year's "
believe" theme. Or a sense of accomplishment vs. frustration. Or rediscovering, that as the pieces gradually come together, underneath it all, I just truly love to swim.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Was anyone nekkid?
BTW - I'm totally convinced that TriGirls are taking over the city.

Jonah Holland said...

What a great year to choose the 4.4 Miler -- when your swimming is really becoming something you love. I'm so happy for you.
Promise me when I show up at Masters some Wednesday soon, you'll show me the ropes!

Unknown said...

Keep these positive swimming posts coming. You give my hope!

sq

margo said...

um, trigirls are taking over the city, fyi. um, can we have a date for me to get some pointers from you?

Robin said...

Awesome! Congrats on your swimming accomplishments - it's cool when something starts to become more than a chore, and then something you look forward to. Attitude is everything! :-)