CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Hill Treaty

I have to be honest. This week included my first “hill” workout since Ironman training. (Shhh, don't tell the coaches.)

Even before IMFL, I justified running the rolling sections of my neighborhood or West Creek for most of my hill workouts because Florida was a flat race.

It has been awhile since I repeatedly pushed myself up a good, long climb. Because, as many of you have heard me whine, hills and I haven't had a very copasetic relationship in the past. Just running up the slight incline at the VITA course would leave me hacking and sputtering. The few times I attempted the Nickel Bridge or the
pit of despair were pure torture. I chugged like a freight train and nearly collapsed when reaching the top. My quads would burn, but not as much as my poor, confused lungs.

Mightyman has hills – for both the bike and run. Facing my nemesis was long overdue. It was time to tackle a real hill workout.

Just outside the University of Richmond campus is a looong climb – probably somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 mile. Parts are steep, parts level off to fake flat - but a continued upward gradient the whole way.

Four times. The plan was to run up (and then down) this monster four times.

First attempt, I thought to myself, “Good Gosh, I'm only like one minute into this hill and there is still so much ahead." Then a minute or so later, "OK, this seems doable, but remember it is just the first time.”

Second attempt, “Ow, ow, a little side cramp issue, but legs feel good. There are some pretty houses around here. Two more times. I am halfway done.”

Third attempt, “Whew, cramp seems to have eased off during the downhill, legs are getting a little tired. Breathing heavier. Concentrate!”

Fourth time, “Yeah, legs are tired. Slowing down a little. Pull out the word.
Believe you can do this. See, you can speed-up a little. Wait, I’m almost done. This workout was not just not bad. I may have even…

LIKED

THE

HILLS!”

Sometime over these past few months, my body has figured out how to deal better with hills. But like a friend's kid who you haven't seen in years, and you are shocked to find out said kid is taller than your friend, it hit me with surprise. All the IM training - mental and physical - tiny gains building over time - led to my perception of a significant improvement from my memories of previous similar hill workouts.

There is a chance I may have finally overcome my hill phobia, when running anyway. We've made a new pact that goes beyond resigned tolerance.

Alas, a major peace summit still seems to be needed for the biking. Just ask TRIDi, Popsrcr and REB60 - they smoked me during the last hill in today's bike ride!

4 comments:

Annn said...

HA HA HA! It is TOTALLY the pit of despair.

Diane said...

No way baby - you are strong on the hills on the bike too. You may not believe yet but it's there!

Unknown said...

I don't believe I saw any smoking on the hill...except from all of our tires.

Warrior said...

You want hils? You should come to Nice.