CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 26, 2007

Tag, I'm It!

Alas my slow running has caught up with me once again. I was tagged on my blog by Ironmom with the following game of Tri Blogger Tag. I'm going to tag some of the people in my favorite blogs list:

Triathonmom, TriJinx, TriDi, I’m TRI-ing, Florida-Bound and Nancy Toby.

If you've been tagged, answer these six questions, then tag six more folks.

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever
2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon
3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

My answers:

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever
My first triathlon was in 2000 – I registered for an open water sprint in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Doing a triathlon was a life goal – and I trained on my own and with a friend – without a real coach, group – or even reading a book. I had no idea what to expect. I remember not sleeping much the night before. I remember thinking how cool it was to receive a race packet with a swim cap. I remember being surprised about having my race number magic markered on my arms and legs. I remember that I had never practiced a transition – and just kind of strolled through them, smiling the whole time. Most of all, I remember the feelings of accomplishment, exhilaration – and exhaustion – after finishing.

2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon
My most recent triathlon was the ACAC Sprint in Richmond last October. Overall it was a great race – my best performance in my age group. But I can still feel the cold – it was a bitterly chilly morning. I remember the swim to bike transition, so grateful for a towel wrapped around my shoulders, kindly provided by TRIgirl LD who had volunteered during the race. I remember the hill from Hades that soon warmed up my frigid bones. And I remember finishing the race, with an amazing sense of support and encouragement from the other TRIgirls and Coach G – and joining them to cheer in the others who crossed the finish line after me. Oh yeah – there was an awesome and delicious celebratory, pig-out brunch that followed at Hondo’s – uh waiter, another mimosa, please.

3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
Ah – my unsuccessful wetsuit experience from the Very Big Nut triathlon. Please see my blog entry if you want to hear the gory details as it is too embarrassing to have to relive again!

4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
There are usually points during the swim and bike, where I overcome the worry about finishing – and begin to get into a groove - enjoying the experience of feeling one with the water or noticing the beautiful scenery around me. I start appreciating the race – and concentrate on thanking all the volunteers – or at least giving them a big smile of gratitude. I’ll try to commiserate, in an encouraging way, with other participants who may be struggling worse than I am.

But, if I had to pick one moment – it would be crossing the finish line at Naylor’s Beach with TRIgirl Devil Face. We had both had a tough race – from the grueling heat and humidity to an unplanned change in the race course. Running those last few hundred yards together recharged my spirit, as well as my very tired and dehydrated body.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
I’ve learned that this asthmatic, approaching middle-age, non-athlete has the willingness, drive and determination to accomplish tough physical (and mental challenges). While many of the natural athletes from my childhood have grown inactive or out of shape, this “tortoise” from their past may actually finish the race ahead of those “hares” – or at least will be in the race as they lounge about on their couches.

6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?
Ah, an easy one to answer – Ironman Florida! The absolute biggest and scariest goal I’ve ever set for myself.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Awesome entry, I love your photos - they just radiate the joy of the sport!

I'm off to read about your wetsuit experience now.... :-)

Robin said...

P.S. I know you're just going to Loooooooveeee Ironman Florida. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Diane said...

Great answers! I've been blocked out of Blogger since Friday for some crazy reason but now that I'm back on, I'll get on my answers!