CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Active Wear vs. Slacker Wear?

Wow – it has been awhile since I’ve been able to get my act together to post something new.

Last Friday was a rest day – a much relished day of relaxation. Yet, the remainder of the holiday weekend included over six hours of swimming, biking and running. As a result of this gradually increasing training, my active wear wardrobe has started to get more and more use – as I’ll wake up on weekends or holidays and throw on exercise clothes, even if my workouts are scheduled later in the day – like Sunday’s 5 pm swim practice. This gives my gym bag a slight break – and may also reassure my dad - who sent me a very funny email, “never thought my little girl would ever be a ‘bag lady’ ha ha. You are doing great!!!”

So in addition to my emerging hobo habits, I find myself running all over town in my workout attire between training classes. On Monday, after a lunchtime swim but before the evening's weight training and bike class, I made a quick detour to pick up some groceries - still bearing lovely raccoon goggle eye marks, wet swim cap hair and no make-up. As I was leaving the store, I heard someone call out my name. I reluctantly turned around to discover it was one of my clients. As we stood there talking, I thought to myself - we’ve compared running races in the past – there is a chance he might chalk off my less than stellar appearance to training – ugh – but there is also the embarrassing possibility that he might think I am just some slacker who can’t pull it together on a day off. While we chatted, I tried to figure out a graceful way to drop a “Oh, I just came from the gym – I don’t normally look like this – I’m training for an Ironman so I have an excuse” type of comment into the conversation, but the right opening never materialized.

Then I had an even scarier realization – he had recognized me right away – in a quite out of work context. Yikes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!!! I know all about walking around town with those darn raccoon eyes.

SQ

Anonymous said...

Glad my Trigirl40 is doing fine and extremely funny....this should be a book!
Love you...
Mamayogasan

carmen said...

i have officially
started wearing my yoga pants
as part of my work uniform

how sad is that

Vickie said...

Hi! First time to your blog--and no, I'm not a stalker. Can't remember where I got the link, but I'm enjoying reading. I'm sure many of us have had the embarrassing moments when we come from working out and see someone we know, so its easy to relate. You are certainly planning some big events this year. Good luck!

TriGirl 40 said...

Thanks for visiting, Vickie! Saw your profile - and would love to hear what you decide about IM!