CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 05, 2007

First Attempts at Our Running Goals

This week’s training included two runs using our new paces.

On Monday, to ring in the New Year, I attempted the first workout - running one mile at the easy pace – and then two miles at the daunting tempo speed. I tried setting up a “workout” in Garmin to warn me if I was off pace. It sort of worked, but I need to play with it some more. I focused on slowing down for the easy pace – and was pretty close to achieving my tempo target with 9:42/mile. By the end, I felt I could go a little further at that pace, but still thought the idea of running six miles was preposterous. It is a lovely dream, though – especially with the Monument 10K scheduled as our first race for the season. Let’s see – at a 9:40 pace I’d finish in just nudge under 60 minutes. To be honest, I’d be thrilled if I can get in the 62 minute range.

Yesterday I joined TRIgirls Molly who?, DL and MJW for our second run drill – two ½ mile repeats, with a 4-5 minute break using our easy pace. Since we met at 6:00 am, it was still dark when we started. The course we run is quite lovely – packed dirt gravel – easy on the joints – and there is a marker exactly at the half mile point – (Garmin consistently says .50 every time). There is one little hill I’d like to see demolished when we do the repeats, but other than that, the course is flat with nice winding turns surrounded by pretty trees.

We did an easy warm up first mile, giving a little moon howl about halfway through. Then it was time for the repeats. Feeling nervous because I hadn’t slept well the night before – and it had been a few months since last doing the repeats – I just sighed and told myself to do my best. With one last look to kick-off Garmin – we were off.

About half-way through the first one, I was ready to stop – and slowed down a bit – so I resigned myself to not hitting the time – except that I did. Not only did I hit it, but I beat it. And not only did a beat it, but I had a PR for a ½ mile with a 3:55. All four of us did great.

We finished the 5 minutes of the easy run – and as we approached the mile landmark to get ready for the second repeat, we ran into Coach G – and took a break for a few minutes to chat with her – and share our exciting results.

As tempting as it was to call it a day, we gritted our teeth for the second one. Since the first one went so well, I was ready to accept that the second one would be a mess, figuring I exerted myself too much and would be tired for the next go round. Again I started out faster and slowed down a bit about half-way through. After crossing the half mile post, I almost choked when I looked down and saw my time – 3:53 – even better than the first one and a new PR. Maybe it was the unofficial break – maybe it was running with our speed demon, TRIgirl MJW – or maybe it was the adrenalin from the excitement of the first repeat. I don’t know, but I wish I could bottle it for the future.

Happy that the worst was over, we jogged the last of the three miles. At the end, TRIgirl MJW jumped in to run with me (she’d finished quite a bit ahead of the rest of us) and – I hesitate to use the word – but it felt like – a sprint - for the last few hundred yards. I seriously don’t think I’ve ever run that fast for any distance – and so appreciate MJW’s pushes and little tips of what my body should be doing when running faster.

Now if I can only figure out how to keep my pace more consistent so I’m not slowing down halfway through the repeats…

0 comments: