CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 22, 2007

Could it Be?

After the past two swim classes, I am wondering, is it possible, could it be…am I getting a little faster?

Just the tiniest bit, maybe?

At Coach S’s class yesterday, we ended the main set with seven laps - 25 meters easy, 25 meters fast. I really tried to push myself during the fast lengths, kicking and pulling harder, while still keeping a controlled stroke. And there were a couple of times, for half a length here or there, where it felt “right” - like I was putting all the pieces together, remembering all the little and big form mechanic details - and gliding through the water.

So, as I was driving to Ironwoman Canada’s class this morning, I was a bit curious how my arms would hold up. Usually there is a slower lane (where I am almost always the slowest of the two or three guppies assigned) and a faster lane. Today, the folks who sometimes share my lane were not there, hence no apparent slower/faster lane. For a couple of the laps during the 1300 – 1400 meter set (I lost count today), I was able to keep up with the others, and there were a few other laps where I didn’t lose too much ground. (OK, the longest drills were just 100 meters, but still…)

My weakened arms were further put to the challenge – of tackling five laps doing various “sculling” drills using a buoy. Ironwoman Canada’s interest in adding sculling to our workouts was sparked by a magazine article. Sculling - "the way a swimmer moves through the water by using only the hands and forearms" – was a new concept to me. I found an
article online that explains the drills better than what I could put into words.

All I can add is that sculling is exhausting – and my arms felt a burn similar to what is typically experienced during weight lifting. For one drill – where we sculled feet first on our backs, it seemed like I was hardly moving forward at all – and it took forever to get to the wall.


Anyway, I am actually supposed to start paying attention to my times during various drills at Masters class, so I should know more in a few weeks if I’m really any quicker or if it just feels I like I am faster because I am working so hard!

4 comments:

Diane said...

All your hard work is paying off! You're lightening!

Jonah Holland said...

Sounds like an awful lot of workouts girl...Please tell me you are taking at least one day off... and maybe go for 2 next week since you have so many days with double or tripple work outs.
Swim last night, swim this morning, bike tonight, bike and run tomorrow, Ed shenanigins, bike and run on thursday...the list goes on.

Robin said...

Congrats on your swim improvements, that's great! I'm a big believer in sculling too.

And by the way, you've been tagged! Check out my blog for details: http://ironmom.blogspot.com/

carmen said...

girl
you are fast
you best hop on over to lane three!

it is a lot of workouts
and wow do i ever appreciate
my fridays!!!