CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Changes to My Race Calendar

My credit card saw some action this weekend as I registered for several races.

After some debate, I'm in for the Shamrock and Roll 8K the weekend of St. Patrick's Day. Coaches G and M had figured out a way to fit the half marathon into the full and half ironman training progams. But after some discussion - and even a little back and forth between the coaches, I'll still be doing the 8K. Right now, working on increasing the miles at a pace closer to my tempo pace is a bigger challenge than running 13 miles - so I'm aiming for a sub 10 minute/mile as my goal for the race.

TRIgirl Devil Face and I were orginally going to skip the Shamrock, until another TRIgirl offered us a place to stay (there tends to be a three night minimum at most hotels for the race - and it seemed like quite an expensive hassle to participate in an 8K). So, we concocted the idea for a local alternative - fun (emphasis on fun) St. Patty's run. We're still planning on coordinating this race - with festive beverage stops along the way - but it will probably be the weekend before or after the Shamrock.

Soon after the Shamrock (and the *hiccup* fun run), TRIgirls will be participating in teams for the Monument 10K. I guess that will be another chance to try and hit the sub 10 minute goal - but I'll see how the 8K goes before setting this objective in stone. There are about five teams of five TRIgirls each - so there will be lots of pink charging down Monument Avenue this year. We are also looking for ways to raise donations for the Massey Cancer Center as part of our committment to the race.

The last charge on my credit card for the weekend was for the Smith Mountain Lake Sprint triathlon - a recent addition to the race schedule - but a good one - as it gives us another opportunity for an open water swim.

There is one more race I may throw on the card before the work week begins - the Shady Grove Sprint - but I'm waiting to hear back from Coach G to see if it fits into our taper as it is scheduled for the weekend before Eagleman. Keeping my fingers crossed since I like this race because it is less than 10 miles from my house - and I'm curious if all the training this year will help improve my times from 2006.

Better go update all my calendars!

1 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

Yes, it would be fun to do the Shady Grove Sprint, but I'm thinking ...I don't want to risk injury by racing less than a week before my "A" race.
Can't wait for your "hiccup" run!