CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Holy Cramps!

Around 4 o'clock this morning, I woke to an impressive calf cramp. I haven't experienced one for a long time - though a few weeks back I wondered if they would start rearing their ugly heads again with all the training.

By the time 6:00 rolled around, I was a little sore and stiff getting out of bed. I did some mild stretching, grabbed two bananas, extra Gatorade and headed out to our workout - 3 miles of running, including my favorite "fast as you can half mile repeats," followed by two hours on the bike.

The workout went fairly well - I was a little cautious at times during the run and bike, pausing occasionally to stretch my calf if I felt like the muscles were teasing me with another possible cramp.

While spinning along mindlessly during the two hours, I remembered a story about my husband and leg cramps.

A little background...my husband is naturally athletic and spent his younger years excelling at a variety of sports before blowing out most of his joints. Handball, and I mean the New York one wall kind, was his favorite. He would probably play for 15-20 hours a week.

And a little more background...at the time of this story, we played cards every Sunday evening with friends. We'd have a huge spread of food and play Hearts, Spades and May I for hours.

So one Sunday, after my husband had spent most of the weekend at the handball courts, we were in our usual seats, dealing out the cards. All of the sudden, my husband was on the floor, gripping his leg, and shouting "Ow, oow, ooow." At first, we all thought he was kidding - overreacting to a bad card play. Then we realized it was a cramp. But before the one cramp subsided, another one attacked his other leg. So he was literally rolling around on the floor holding both legs. And even though we all knew it was a miserable and painful situation - watching him was just the tiniest bit funny at the time - and became a "remember when" story for many a future card night.

8 comments:

Loretta said...

Unbelievable, Friday evening we had a dance class. Because it was Samba, my 'partner,' who has a bad ankle and didn't participate. In the middle of the night, I got a calf cramp that was the worst one of my life, intensity lasting, and even by a.m. it was still vaguely present. I went oooh owww in the middle of the night, saying don't touch me...oooh...ooowww! The very worst I have ever had...think it was the intense Samba technique, and no warm up!

Nancy Toby said...

Hmm. How's the calcium and magnesium in your diet? I'd check that out. Generic Rolaids are a cheap source of both. Taking a daily multivitamin-multimineral with vit. E and selenium, as well?

Calf cramps are often nutritional in origin.

Anonymous said...

D,
While pregnant I also get leg cramps. Potassium is a great cure-(lots of bananas!) Also, supplements of B6 and B12 promote healthy blood flow and circulation, eliminating leg cramps.
G

Robin said...

Ouch!! Those are no fun, esp. in the middle of the night.

Bananas are my magic bullet too. A banana a day keeps the killer calf cramps away (at least it works for me!)

Nancy Toby said...

Yeah, potassium too! Orange juice and bananas are good sources. Also use Morton's Lite Salt routinely on your food. A nutritional explanation seems reasonable since both you and your husband are experiencing them, especially if you have quite similar diets!!

TriGirl 40 said...

Thanks so much for the diet suggestions. I thought that bananas would help with potassium, and if cheese counts, my calcium is probably fine, too :), but I will look into magnesium - as I really have no idea what foods help with those levels. As of today, I think the cramp teasings are gone, but would love to take everyone's ideas to prevent future attacks. Thank you, all!

nancytoby said...

Cheese only counts if you're averaging 6 to 8 slices per day!! Most people don't get sufficient calcium or magnesium in their diet without supplementation.

TriGirl 40 said...

Have you ever seen me at the buffet table when cheese is around ;). Seriously, I am thinking about looking into some vitamins and supplements - and appreciate the suggestions.