CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cravings

This week, I was reminded by Triathlonmom that we are halfway in our training program to Eagleman – and, thanks to her efforts, a very cool counter has been added to the footer of my blog where I can watch the days tick away to this major race.

I know our training is about to move up to the next intensity level. And I know that I need to seriously evaluate my nutrition plan – for both workouts and races.

Overall, I’ve made a few changes in my diet since
my last nutrition post. I am eating more without gaining weight. Breakfast is becoming a regular occurrence. I’m remembering to take a sports bar or jelly beans for workouts that will be over an hour. Most of the time, my beverage of choice is water (well, and some wine, too).

Yet I seem to have predictable hankerings. For a post-workout breakfast (still can’t figure out how to eat anything more than a sports bar before early morning workouts), I really want a bagel. So I pick one up at Manna Café, the little food shop in my office building. Lately, I’ve been adding either a Naked Fruit Smoothie or V8 to my purchase to have as a mid morning snack. Yep, often a cup of coffee is on my receipt, too.

At lunchtime, you can usually find me online at Christopher’s Runaway Gourmet (and usually TRIgirl LD will be waiting with me). This is probably my most balanced meal of the day – low fat chicken salad, fruit or cucumbers, small piece of cheese and a slice of yummy, crusty bread – with butter. I can eat this stuff day after day to the amazement of some of my coworkers.

Dinner is probably my most unusual meal. I crave cheese and salt. So many nights, I end up cutting up some fresh mozzarella, seasoned nicely with some good ole kosher or sea salt. At least when tomatoes are back in season, I can add a few slices for a healthier and less bizarre supper.

While my overall nutrition is better, my guess is that it isn’t good enough. I know the drill - more fruits, veggies and whole grains. My main problem is that I’d rather skip a meal than waste calories on something I don’t want or won’t enjoy. And I think there may be a small fear that if I eat the healthier choice – let’s say whole wheat bread vs. the bagel – I’ll still want the bagel and will end up eating it – or something similar – before the day is done.

Small steps - and I’m ready to take the next one or two. Just need to figure out which ones are most important – or the ones I’ll be more likely to adopt.

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

TriGirl 40,
Bagels are gifts from the Gods!!!! I swear by their dense, carb loaded goodness for my morning pre-workout energy! But, I have some rules that I have to go by to enjoy my treat: It must be a whole wheat mini bagel since regular bagels are, like, 3 times more than you need. I put a smear of peanut butter and some 100% fruit black rasberry jam on it. YUM! It sustains me through a 2 hr. workout with no problem. Any longer than that and I will start supplementing with gels at the 1 hr.-1hr. 20min. mark so my energy doesn't die off. No one should ever have to give up the bagel!! (Or coffee but, really, I only drink that to spare the lives of my family!)

Cyndi :)

Loretta said...

Glad you are making nutritional progress. Try fresh steamed spinach ...buy it by a small pack and steam covered 1 or 2 minutes in microwave...stir and enjoy.
One small step...zippo calories, iron, veg!
Another, mushrooms...so easy so satisfying...know you like them...roast or saute...great fiber!
Another...get those frozen berries, place frozen in bowl in a.m., place in fridge and eat at night or reverse time frame.

Diane said...

The frozen berries comment reminded me of my favorite home-made smoothie - use the frozen fruit (raspberries, blueberries, mangos, whatever!) instead of ice cubes, toss in some yogurt, skim milk, or OJ and a banana, blend up and you're good to go! Portable too. Enjoy!

Jonah Holland said...

Sooo, you know my friend Ann Chamblin over at Christopher's, huh? I can't believe I've never eaten their food considering how much i hear about it.
About the bagel. Ukrop's makes a mean honey whole wheat one i'm addicted to. I use low fat cream cheese...and Redfish eats the soft inside while I eat my favorite part -- "the skin"...which he won't touch. Maybe you can get your dog involved in a strange food ritual like this?

DV said...

small steps make big gains...
(no, i didn't just eat a fortune cookie... really...)