CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

For Just One Day

For just one day, I’d like to run like Jackie Joyner-Kersee, swim like Janet Evans and bike like Lance Armstrong. To switch bodies and see what it feels like to be so amazingly athletic. To run with lungs that can accomplish a 4 minute mile. To swim with shoulders that cut through the water like oars. To bike with thighs so strong they can climb hill after hill after hill. To learn to what extent their power is true gift and how much is hard work. To see if what I consider “effort” compares to their ability to drive themselves through discomfort or pain. To experience their mental stamina and focus.

While it would be humbling (and probably depressing) to return to the world of back-packers, maybe I would have learned how to move with better technique or what it is like to truly push myself to the limit.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I bet you'd discover that they expect more of themselves, just like you do, and have the same dedication and desire that you do. You already are a champion, D!

Jonah Holland said...

ME TOO! But seriously, you did look a little like Jack Joyner-K this morning when you were trucking on the Vita Course! Was that a negative split? You flew by me!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Wouldn't that be amazing?

Fe-lady said...

Sometimes I feel as if I am running/swimming/cycling that fast, but of course I am not...but it's fun to pretend and it keeps us motivated at the same time!