CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Flipping

For my past two swim workouts, I’ve been flailing about, attempting what are supposed to be flip turns.

I’ve had a few people say – why bother – there are no walls in the ocean.

Which is true – and if I really wanted to simulate an open water swim, I’d need to find a way to not push off the wall at all – nor take a little breather when doing a regular turn. Maybe remove the lap ropes and lines, generate some wave action, dump in a few gallons of salt and throw in some jellyfish.

And I think the biggest benefit of flip turns – well, when I can actually incorporate them smoothly into my swimming – will be that I won’t be able to take that additional breath or two. Which, I’ve come to learn, really makes a difference. Without that extra air, swimming, especially longer distances, becomes a wee bit more challenging and tiring.

Not to mention, they “should” help me keep up a little better with some of the faster swimmers – and maybe even improve my time in pool sprint triathlons.

So, this past Sunday and Monday, I tried to include flip turns for a least a quarter of each workout. It wasn’t always very pretty.

The baffling part is that I used to be able to do them when I was a teenager (or at least some version that may not have been “technically” correct, but fairly smooth). I’m very comfortable, even still, doing water acrobatics, from all my childhood practice when my friends and I would pretend the pool lap lines were balance beams and would create little gymnastic routines.

But, I’m hopeful about figuring this whole flip turn thing out. I’ve done some research online and am looking forward to my next swim when I can try out some of the tips I’ve found. For example, I think I am twisting way too soon. It sounds like I should really complete the somersault, then turn.

Once the basic form starts falling into place, I’ll work on stopping the little head bobbing thing I am doing now when nearing the wall to try and gauge at what point to start the turn (and to sneak the extra breath or two that I’d normally have taken with a regular turn).

Would welcome suggestions from the expert flippers out there…

3 comments:

Robin said...

If any of this is helpful, here's how I teach flip turns...

First of all, I don't recommend them for anyone going slower than 1:45 per 100y, because there's just not enough momentum to make them worthwhile. You want to take your momentum with you, not bleed it off, and this seems to be about the time cutoff that this happens in, FWIW. Above 1:45, you can do a nice efficient wall turn about as fast as a flip, plus the bonus is you get to breathe!

Okay, technique. I usually have people start away from the wall and just get the turn down. Judging distance and speed to the wall are a bit like learning to land an airplane, there's no easy way to describe it, you learn by doing. If you're new to flip turns, make sure you're never swimming alone. I had a guy a couple of weeks ago hit his head pretty hard on a mis-judged turn. You don't want to end up comatose on the bottom of the pool.

Take one last stroke with a breath, pull that arm down to your side. Take your stroke with your other arm and pull fully down to your side too. Give a quick little dolphin kick with both legs to pop them out of the water and flip straight over. After your legs contact the wall, bring both arms straight up your body and into a good gliding position. Push off into your glide and as you do, turn to face down.

Other than that, lots of practice and expect awhile before they're dialed in. I usually suggest turning one flip at the end of every 100 meters until they're comfortable. Then turn at every 50, then every turn. That seems to help with getting too breathless until you get them down.

Gee, I think this is the longest comment I've ever written!

Diane said...

Great topic! I appreciate your advice and Robin's too. May just have to try them... when I'm fast enough to make them worthwhile... :)

TriGirl 40 said...

Robin - Thanks so much for the advice! I haven't timed a 100 in a while, but have done a few 50s in 55 seconds lately - so hopefully I am not too far off. And I like the idea of just doing them for the last of the 100 meters - then gradually building up. I have Masters class tonight and think I will get there early to practice. Really appreciate the tips!