CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Taper

I first learned about “the taper” when joining TRIgirls a few years ago. After hearing the promises of reduced training, I remember being surprised to see workouts on the schedule during the days leading up to those initial sprint triathlons or 10Ks. My visions of lounging on the couch for two weeks with Ben & Jerry as my main training companions were quickly replaced with preperation planning, hydrating - and runs, bikes, swims.

Obviously, I didn’t “get it.”

For Eagleman, the taper was a little more noticeable – on paper anyway. But I was so worked up with nerves and excitement, that though I conceptually understood the idea, I still wasn't getting it.

IMFL gave me my first real taste of the taper. The week or two before the race, I felt energized. I wished for a few more longer workouts – but resisted because it was taper time. And it worked, I had a great race (for me).

With White Lake just a week and half-away, I am doing better recognizing the signs that the taper is near. I was pleased with how I did during Ironwoman Canada's last Masters class – 14 100s on tough intervals interspersed throughout the workout – and I actually hit them all. This past weekend’s long bike with TRIgirls SS, SD, MW and KB included a decent negative split for the last 38 of the 78 miles – and my legs felt strong afterwards (my shoulders and neck a little less so).


In the next few days, the workouts will begin easing off.

The only temptation causing me heartache is the Eastern Shore bike scheduled for this coming weekend. I loved this ride (other than the last 15-20 miles) last year and Saturday’s weather looks terrific. After this past weekend’s great ride, I can’t wait for the next longer excursion with Patriot Sangria. Some of my team mates training for Brazil will be cycling 100 miles. I’ve resigned myself to not being able to join them for the entire distance, but was really hoping for a 50 mile ride.

Unfortunately, a half century distance is not on my schedule and I’ve been hearing some “feedback” about my plans. I’m trying to figure out ways it could work (what if the last 25 miles were leisurely?).


But the verdict is still out.



2 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for the kind words. You are so ready for the race.

Tea said...

I have to agree with you. I was a runner (since high school). I never got the "taper".

Now, that IM is around the corner, I'm really looking forward to it. I know the mental games will be rolling around in my head, but there ain't nuthin' wrong with going easy for a bit. :)

(remember: channel the gazelle).