CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

A Confession

Generally speaking, I really do enjoy training.

The stress dissolving from my body during a long run. The joy of cruising rural roads with Patriot Sangria and my riding buddies. The glide through the pool as my arms and legs cut through the water.

But, every once in awhile, the real reason that motivates me to squeeze in a long scheduled workout is less about adrenalin, endorphins or even an approaching race...


and more about calorie burning.

For as long as I can remember, food and I have had a tenuous relationship. You know those kids – the lanky, skinny ones that can eat a three course dinner and then find themselves hungry for their first dessert an hour later?


Well, that was never me. I was the chubby third grader, the calorie counting sixth grader, the skip breakfast and lunch teenager. Along the way, there have been a few relative “thinner” stages, which always involved strict dieting and a moderate exercise plan. The last one occurred about two years ago when I lost 17 pounds. Still not skinny (nor close), but achieving a degree of acceptance with the scale and my body.

Imagine my joy during last year’s training for two half IMs and IMFL – when I could actually EAT with freedom, without guilt – and maintain my weight. Wow, three solid meals a day, sometimes second helpings, sometimes, even, gasp, dessert! Ooooh, a weekend party after a mega workout session? Awesome! Make room as I park myself at that buffet table!

In the back of my mind, I fear how easily it could all slip away. If the workouts slow down, either the pounds will creep on or the calorie nazi will need to be resuscitated.

So for now, if the consequence of skipping a workout is forgoing that bleu cheese topped filet, crusty bread and cabernet...


I’m grabbing my gym bag and heading out the door.




7 comments:

Diane said...

OMG that looks fantastic. I have to go run just for looking at the picture.

But I am going to call you out... I met you a lot of years ago and you have always looked amazing.

TriGirl Thea said...

Training for an IM....thats what it takes huh?

I fear it just might be worth it.

Mnowac said...

Oh I am right there with you. I gain wieght so easily! I keep waiting for the magic formula that will allow me to eat without such worry and help me lose 10-15 lbs so that I don't look like a hobbit :) Oh I exagerrate a little. Maybe an IM is in order!

tri-ing races not cases said...

You are not alone sistah! Although these days I dream of crusty bread or pizza.

carmen said...

good lord sister
your are one fine piece of a**
i love you dearly
but i also love your hot body
enjoy your filet
with your speedy bike times...

Sarah said...

Since we're on the subject of confessions, the more I train and the more I race, the higher my food bill gets. I recently came the conclusion that the only thing that might keep me from going for IM in 2010 is the fact that I wouldn't be able to afford to feed myself on my current salary. And if I lose a ton of weight (which I'd love to do) I wouldn't be able to afford the new wardrobe.

Robin said...

I could've written so much of this post. And unfortunately it seems to get even harder as the years go by. That really was a fun thing about IM training, although I have to admit that I finally got to a place where I didn't even want to see food. I was hungry, but just didn't want to have to eat *more* food. Sadly, that disappears as soon as one stops training so many hours a day! :-)