CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 15, 2007

Eastern Shore IMFL Camp

Take 10 TRIgirls, 5 coaches, a few brave spouses and several patient kids.
Add 3 days and 2 nights.
Throw in 2 open water swims and 100 plus miles of biking.
Top it off with amazing meals and great company.
What do you get?

The best ever IMFL training camp experience!

About a month or so ago, TRIgirls KB and SS mentioned the idea of an Eastern Shore training weekend. I jumped at the chance - and am so happy and grateful I did. Especially because, since then, all the IMFL folks - coaches and teammates - joined in, too.

So, on Friday, after one last work obligation, I drove my car, packed with sports clothes, Gatorade, snacks, wetsuit, sports bars, some (ahem) wine - and Patriot Sangria tied as best could be on the back of my Accord, to meet everyone at
Kiptopeke State Park.

The state park cabin was beautiful - lovely, clean and surrounded by quiet scenery. I straggled in about the same time as TRIgirls LD, SL and SK to meet up with Coach BB and host SS. We unpacked our bags as TRIgirl AM arrived. Just in time - as we decided to test out the Eastern Shore waters.

And, as suspected, salty water makes a difference. You float more. And you do have to get used to some different side effects. For me - the clearer water made me a little dizzy. The salt made my lips swell. We did a lap or two parallel to the shore before heading back to the cabin to meet the rest of our training buddies - TRIgirls KB, DL, CH and Coach ERC and his wife. The long car ride and short swim made us hungry. TRIgirls CD and SK came to the rescue with our meal - we chowed down on lasagna, salad, garlic bread (and some wine to wash it down). Sitting around the fireplace, we played a "password" game for an hour or so - which included many laughs about game rules and pygmies (don't ask).

Then it was time for bed. TRIgirl CH found cryptic messages in the paper for our anticipated workout - including "Hamlin proposes plan B" and a pygmy picture (?). She also had TRIgirl DL and I laughing hysterically at the idea of a clear wetsuit - and all the implications - from fat rolls to speedos.

Life was good as we drifted off to sleep with the cabin window open to fresh Eastern Shore air.

Grateful for a few extra snoozing hours compared to many Saturday training workouts, the house started to wake around 7:00 AM, as bike tires were pumped and water bottles were prepared with complicated carbohydrate and protein formula mixtures.

We all headed off on a gorgeous and cool fall day - a 100 mile bike ride in the plans. We rode together for the first few miles. Whoo hoo, yes, flat roads as promised - and yes, the sun was starting to warm our cold bones.

After awhile, we started to break off into groups. I found myself with the "big kids" - coaches ERC, BB, SS and awesome TRIgirl bicyclists, CD, KB and SK. I decided to hang on as long as I could with my heroes - whether it was 5 or 50 miles. Drafting off Coach ERC was key - his 6' plus frame was a wonderful sail for me. I've tried drafting in the past - but never really "got it" until this weekend. I worked hard - but quietly cruised along, like a measly, grateful barnacle.

And 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 miles went by. I did my best to keep up - and I'm pretty sure my riding mates took a little pity on me now and then - by slowing down to help me stay with them when I started to tire. Lately, since Patriot Sangria came into my life, my pace is about 16-18 mph - depending on the conditions and distance. This weekend, thanks to lots of successful drafting off my generous riding mates, I was hitting 19-20 mph. And a couple of times, the pace hit 22-23 miles per hour.

Between miles 80 and 90, I started to grow weary - physically and mentally. The wind seemed to pick-up. I was just about done working hard to keep up and I fell back. I stopped to refuel. Then, after a few more miles, I saw my biking heroes ahead. We had about 10 more miles left. They had waited for me and I decide to thank them by trying a little harder to keep up during the last few miles. I am pretty sure they slowed down, too - but we finished together - before Coach BB headed out for a bunch more miles to check on the rest of the riders.

I swear, getting off the bike, to lay on the concrete walk with the strong sun rays hitting my tired body, felt GREAT.

The rest of the evening included lots of yummy food (thanks to Grillmaster Coach BB), good wine, fun conversation and interesting Kona watching - until I decided to crawl into my bed around midnight.

The next morning, enticing breakfast smells (and TRIgirl CH climbing down from the top of the bunk beds we shared) woke me up. Bacon, incredible French toast (thanks to TRIgirl CD's recipe and preparations) and lots of fresh fruit were on the menu. We shared a wonderful breakfast before heading out again for another open water swim.

More TRIgirls and coaches were in tow (no pun intended) this time as we swam from a docked boat to Coach ERC's kayak to shore a bunch of times. TRIgirl SK and Coaches BB and SS gave me a few examples of what to expect in Panama City as they practically swam over me.

We finished the swim, took outdoor showers and started on the two hour drive back home.

A bunch of workouts to be happy and proud of - in our IMFL back pockets.

What an incredible weekend!

11 comments:

margo said...

O.M.G. that sounds like such an amazing weekend! i hope i can be there with you guys next time!! thanks for the great report!

and... hooray for taper time!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such a great weekend. I'll get the full scoop on Wednesday next week if not before. Congrats on your distances!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's some weekend! I can see that I need to up my wine intake to ever keep up with you on a bike again.

Diane said...

Fabulous! Let me know if you need a sherpa next time. ;)

Robin said...

Sounds like a really amazing weekend of training. You must feel really prepared now for IMFL!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your reports. :)
INCREDIBLE riding this weekend!

sq

Melissa said...

what a great weekend. i can't wait to see pictures, too!

Anonymous said...

Now that is what I call a wonderful training weekend! Sounded perfect!
Keep it up honey....we are all proud as can be!
xo
Mamayogasan

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, you must be so ready!!

Jonah Holland said...

Fun Fun Fun. You are a lucky girl! and you are now a big kid (to us little kids)

Tea said...

I am SO jealous! What a great experience!


btw--A friend of mine mentioned putting vaseline on her lips helps in salt water. Have you ever tried it? I was thinking about it, but with my luck, I'd just get a worse sunburn.