CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Packing

Packing for a triathlon is normally a fairly large undertaking culminating with bags and bags of stuff for just an overnight race. Packing for an Ironman takes this task to a whole new level. I’m getting the lists ready – and hopefully will have enough suitcases. And room in Coach B’s SUV!

But I am also starting to pack mentally. I’ve been thinking about the song lyrics, strategies and memories to stash away and draw from on race day.

So, here is what is going in my virtual motivation gym bag. Today, we’ll focus on some tunes to form my IM soundtack.


Keep in mind, without my IPOD, I’ll only be able to sing (in my head - though I may clear the course if I start to sing aloud) the choruses or a few lines here or there (over and over).

Hoobastank’s “The Reason” -
I've found a reason to show

A side of me you didn't know
A reason for all that I do
And the reason is you

I think because I heard it so much when struggling to just jog more than three miles a year ago, when the IMFL rumblings started to circulate among the TRIgirl crowd, this song reminds me of my decision to do an Ironman




Gene Autry's "Peter Cottontail" -
Oh, here come's Peter Cottontial
Hopping down the bunny trail

Always makes me smile, thinking of Coach G sharing that she thinks of this song while running. "Keep hands loose, touch fingers to thumb."



Moby’s “Natural Blues” -
Went down the hill,the other day

My soul got happy and stayed all day

For three or four months last winter, this was one of the tunes on either Coach B or Coach E’s IPOD (or maybe both) that became close friends during our indoor biking classes. “Level 10, stand up!”



Eminem’s “Loose Yourself” –
Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted-
One moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?

Like a metronome, the beat to this song is perfect for reminding me to keep my turnover high and my feet light. The words are pretty invigorating, too.



Linkin Park’s “What I’ve Done” and Modest Mouse’s “Float On”– (two songs TRIgirl’s DL's husband added to our Eagleman DVD. Anytime I hear the songs I see parts of the video...

For what I’ve done

I start again
And whatever pain may come
Today this ends

The foreboding swim start waves with arms flailing

And we'll all float on alright
Already we'll all float on
Aliright don't worry even if things end up a bit to heavy
We'll all float on alright

and TRIgirl MJ in transition heading off to start her – with such bounce and energy in her stride.





U2’s “Beautiful Day”
It's a beautiful day


Don't let it get away
It's a beautiful day

This seems like one of the standards for triathlon races – and several Ironman media clips seem to play it as the racers are getting ready to start the day.

Please be a beautiful day in Panama City on November 3rd!

7 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

I am so so excited for you! I can't believe you ever had trouble running 3 miles....really, was that you? You've changed so much, but your still the same.

Unknown said...

So first - Who will be packed first?
Next, Ramones - I Believe in Miracles, or for pure fun, Teenage Lobotomy. If you need that extra bit to get you across the line, try Slipknot "Duality", or Lamb of Gods "Redneck". Those will get you moving!
I've got some Front 242 that is like 145bpm. :-) Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that "Finding Nemo" ditty

"Just keep swimming
just keep swimming
just keep swimming swimming swimming
What do we do? We Swim!"

Diane said...

Do you remember the animated Christmas show where Chris Kringle teaches the Winter Warlock how to walk, singing:
Just put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking 'cross the flo-or-or
Just put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking out the door!

I sing that to myself a lot when I'm really really tired of running.

Also as you may know, I'm obsessed with Nickleback's "Rock Star." What better when you're smoking the bike then "Hey hey, I wanna be a rock star"!!! (And you are!)

Unknown said...

I love "Float On" - I'll sing that all around the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks D!

And what was up with the butterfly last night????
As if...

sq

Cyndi said...

Okay, I'm going to share my secret song -- but I promise, you're going to hate me for it. Once it's in your head, it NEVER leaves!! I change the words to the original song when I'm running, but it fits perfectly. So here it is: proof-positive that I'm a total dork!

Keep on Movin' by the Brady Bunch:

"We're gonna keep on, keep on, keep on, keep on moving all through the night.
We're gonna keep on, keep on, keep on doing it right
We're gonna keep on, keep on , keep on movin
Gonna keep on, keep on, keep on grooving
Keep on biking and running all through the night"


If you're looking for more meaning, you can add one of the mid-verses:

"You can hear the music coming 26 miles away
Woo! yeah.. woo!
Smiling is happy :)
And happy is here to stay"

Yeah, yeah. I'm embarassed that I even admitted to this!

C

Anonymous said...

I keep singing The Final Countdown...

My theme song for the bike is I like to move it, move it. I like to groove it, groove it. Courtesy of Madagascar.