CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 08, 2007

So Maybe I am NOT a Trail Runner

A few weeks ago, TRIgirl CD suggested we do the BB&T Scholarship 30K to meet our 20 mile run training scheduled for this weekend. Shaded course, water stops, being with the TRIgirls - sounded like a good plan.

So yesterday began with waking up at 5:30 to pick-up TRIgirl DL to drive over to Pocahontas State Park. The race venue was small - maybe 200 runners split up between the 10K, 20K and 30K distances. No race chips.

While Fall gave us a tease a few weeks ago, it has been an Indian Summer lately. The leaves have hardly changed and temperatures have floated around the 90 degree mark for the past week or so during the day. And it has been unseasonably humid.

With my "fly by the seat of my pants" approach to keep up the best I can with life given these last few IM training weeks, I had pretty much forgotten the 30K was a trail run.

So, off we went. Given the 7:00 am start - it was cool - temperature wise - but so humid I felt like I was running through a cool mist. My legs were not at all fresh from packing in extra bike miles from missing the previous week's 90 mile bike to do Naylor's and which included some speed work within those extra miles. We ran through the parking lot and then begin to hit "the trail" - the course consisted for three 6.3 mile loops - with maybe about 3/4 mile of each loop on a paved surface.

I quickly learned that maybe my first trail run shouldn't have been one that would be 19 miles (the course was long). Uphill, downhill, over roots, under hanging trees, over rocks, through wet grass, uphill, downhill, over bridges, turning switchbacks. I often thought to myself, I would love this trail, if I was walking with my dogs wearing hiking shoes on a cool, crisp Fall day.

But I wasn't, I was jogging in ridiculous humidity with my Newtons. Their open mesh tops became a haven for rocks and sand which had be be emptied out several times during the run.

I was tense. I couldn't really hit a decent pace except for the mile or two of sandy flats along each loop. I was always on the alert for large rocks and roots. I was less comfortable on the downhills than the uphills since I felt the need to lean back and put on the brakes to do my best to prevent a fall or twisted ankle. For most of the first loop, I ran with TRIgirl CH - it was great to spend some time with her.

It was tempting to just stop after the first loop. I imagined finding the nice paved road that lead into the park and run it a bunch of times to hit the mileage. But, I didn't - and it was on to loop two. After watching runners on the first loop, I realized that I could walk up the hills almost as fast as I could jog them - and felt stronger at the crest. It was encouraging to see all the TRIgirl pink along the race course as I crossed paths with TRIgirls KB, SL, TB, SK (well, at the start line), CD, SD, LD, SS, AM, MW, AF, CH, DL, MW, KB and KFG - and several TRIboys - BB, DD, RE, SS and DG.

The sun came out during the second loop. The cool mist was replaced with warm steam. Thank goodness 90% of the course was shaded. The aid stations were about 1.5 miles apart, so I had to play with my Gu intake. Instead of a half gu every other aid station (normally 2 miles), I ended up doing a half to a full Gu every aid station. Given that each mile was taking me quite a bit longer - this became a good plan.

My shoulders and back were getting tired from being so tense. I'd occasionally stop and try to breathe and twist out the anxiety. The second loop was coming to an end and I heard TRIgirl TB cheering me in. OK, I thought to myself. I can do one more loop.

The third loop rewarded me with more familiarity with trail running and the course. I started to feel a bit more comfortable - and was able to take off several minutes from my first two loops. I finished the 19 miles in 4:04.

I was so happy to be done with the distance - and even more relieved to be off the trails without a broken bone.

I'm pretty sure my time could have been faster for the distance, but I recognized that this training race was a better overall workout. And while physically the miles took longer - mentally they went by more quickly - between having to be aware of my environment to the aid stations to the pretty course.

I don't think I'll venture out anytime soon on another 30K trail run - but would love to get some experience with a few 5 or 10Ks in the future. Though I'll still always appreciate the BB&T - for its shady course, water stops - and being with the TRIgirls!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great race report! That race was challenging, to say the least....

sq

Melissa said...

impressive!

Jonah Holland said...

You guys (and especially you) just rock.

Unknown said...

You should do those trails on a mtn bike! Way more fun. Sounds like you did great tho.