CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

No One

It hit me the past few days.

I've heard the stories. I've read the blogs. A recent post by Tea really pointed it out.

The many triathletes or runners who have been told by others that they may not reach their goals.

And I realized, one again, how lucky I am.

The chubby grammar school kid occasionally excused from gym class due to asthma who wanted to ride bikes with the neighborhood kids. The pre-teen non-athlete who had kind friends when picking teams during those challenging adolescent years. The girl with just a smidge of dancing background, spending weeks practicing kicks and splits for the high school kickline squad try-outs.

No one ever told me "You can't."

No one.

I was occasionally made fun of. Which may have lead to feeling a bit embarrassed about how slow I was.

But no one ever said "You shouldn't."

I occasionally surprised everyone, mostly myself. I made that kickline squad and became the captain three years later.

And now, as this woman approaching middle age who signed up for some ridiculous sounding race.

No one has said "You'll never."

Over the past year, I've shared my IM goal with friends and family. Along the journey, a tiny few have mentioned their concerns (is the human body made to do this, why would you want to?). But mostly, they've been incredibly supportive. They've checked in on my training and progress. They've cheered my accomplishments, no matter how small.

They've never said "You can't."

They've never said "You shouldn't."

They've never said "You'll never."

I am so fortunate - and so grateful - for their support.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only "you shouldn't" I could come up with is:
You shouldn't do this without me there to cheer you on!!!!

margo said...

the words that come to mind after reading your post are:

YOU WILL.

you are an inspiration to say the least and you are going to cross that finish line like the phenom that you are!!

Unknown said...

I am impressed by you and all the others I know that are doing this. The level of commitment and will you guys show is awesome.

Diane said...

You can, and you will! Yes the physical is important but the mental even more so - and you're stong in both areas. You are awesome (and nowhere NEAR middle age, girlfriend!).

Anonymous said...

You have! You will! You can! You are!
YOU have always been a winner, always a valuable member of any and every team and endeavor. YOU have always been cherished by friends and family!
YOU have generated praise, admiration and love by all who know YOU!
Mamayogasan

Jonah Holland said...

I can't wait until you do! and no one will be surprised when it happens. Really wish I could be there...but you know I'll be watching on IMLive.

Anonymous said...

I am confident YOU CAN and YOU WILL!

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

You and all others doing this are such inspiration to all of us baby pinks! I can't wait to watch you do it. You can and will and it will be awesome, everything you worked for, and earrned!