CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Naylor's Beach - Race Report

To be honest, I really wasn't looking forward to this race.

Between work and travel, which has been exhausting and crazy these past two weeks, and fighting a little cold, I just wanted to crawl into bed and sleep - and pretend that I wasn't doing an Ironman in five weeks.

Best intentions had me thinking I'd be able to workout while in Alabama - maybe meet Tri-blogger Beth. I was so overwhelmed with the packed schedule, I couldn't even email her to thank her for the offer and to say it just didn't seem doable this time around. Plus, because of all the missed training, I squeezed in two two-ish hour workouts on Friday and Saturday to make up for not exercising while out of town. I was not exactly well rested for today's race.

Then there were the self-doubts - I ended the Patriot Half on a good note - did I want to risk a lackluster performance that would damper my mental spirit for IMFL?

I reminded myself, this was a training race - a great chance to practice an open water swim and nutrition. Plus TRIgirl BL had offered her friend's river home to TRIgirl DL and me, about 20 minutes from the race, to crash at the night before. I wanted to be with them and several other TRIgirls who had registered for the Olympic distance Naylor's.

We had a great pre-race eve on Saturday night. TRIgirl BL's friend's house was very cool - right on the river. We cruised around the beautiful nearby waterways on his boat, during a gorgeous sunset. We had a fabulous pre-race meal, interesting conversation - and maybe a drop or two more wine than was ideal. I felt like a lucky girl when hitting the sack to the chirping of crickets and the otherwise quiet of the county.

Lots of fog in the morning caused a one hour delay. Which was actually good for my stomach - and the stomachs of several other racers who became familiar faces and friends during the numerous bathroom (yes, bathroom, not port-o-potties!) stops.


While in transition, waiting for the race to start, I heard a few folks call me over. They asked if I had a blog. If I am doing an IM. Actually recognized the TRIgirl gear and the number 40 on my leg. Mentioned the "Why do I do this" post and my recent trips. I was so honored to know they were readers. My day was brightening though the fog was not!

I was in a state of disbelief when the officials decided to start the race. The water was very calm, but there was still a heavy mist and I could hardly see the first buoy. I relied on the swimmers around me until the first turnaround - when the sun came out - and was smack in my eyes. But the current was with us and the straightaway passed by fairly quickly. TRIgirl MS was out on the river watching us in her kayak - as was her man in purple (kayak and attire) - which reassured me. Settling into a groove, I thought about the form tips Ironwoman Canada taught me. After the second turnaround - I panicked a bit - it felt like Patriot's, I couldn't see the orange buoys. But, I found a few arms and caps - and followed their lead. After a bit, I saw the finish line yellow buoys - and sighted on them until I exited the water. Overall swim was 38:30 - about four and a half minutes faster than last year.

The weather for the bike and run was awesome. Clear, sunny, dry - not too hot. The first few miles felt slow. Might have been a headwind or my weary legs after the last two days of workouts. I had to walk one nasty hill on the dreaded Scates Road. And I had to stop to refuel as the straw flew off the second compartment of my Podiumquest and I ran out of liquid (I am not coordinated enough for the grab and go). The second half of the course went a little better. I think I came close to holding my own on the bike in terms of passing/being passed. I did well with nutrition overall - probably 450 calories. I don't have the exact split for my bike last year, but this year's was 1:32 - I'd guess about five minutes faster than last year.

The run - my legs felt tired for the first two miles before they adjusted. A 1/2 gu every other mile worked perfectly between water dumps and drinks at the aid stations. I felt I was moving at a good pace - and was very thankful for the weather - there was direct sun, but overall, it was a beautiful Virginia fall day. I even was able to take it up a notch in the end to pass a girl who had been right with me from the beginning of the bike. Run time was 1:03, which, as TRIgirl DL thoughtfully reminded me, is almost my best 10K time. About 8 minutes faster than last year.


Crossing the finish line, I felt strong and fast (for me). I heard TRIgirl CH cheer me in and thought about our awesome finish the year before. Volunteer TRIgirls MS, LD, CH and Coach G were also cheerleaders with the TRIgirls who were already done. Coach G came over and said I had a great race - and I bumbled, in my post exertion drunken state, "Yes, I did have a great race."

Overall time - 3:19:50. Last year was 3:37:24. Placement in my age group was better, too.


I cheered in several other TRIgirls. And watched as four TRIgirls accepted age group awards - yeah - the rocking TRIgirls ML, KC, KO, BL (and Ironboy JW). All that pink on the podium made us all proud.

I watched a few TRIgirls complete very tough races - overcoming lots of obstacles - to finish with grace that was pure inspiration. Awesome job, Beebs and TRIgirl DL.

And now, as I am about to head off to bed, I am so happy I pushed myself to race this race I didn't want to race - grateful for the pride and respect of the day's accomplishments - my fellow racers' - and my own.

9 comments:

Diane said...

WOW!!! Fantastic race. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

GREAT JOB!!!!!!
Can't wait to hang in Florida with you!! :)

sq

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations to you! I think we all did well, and I was glad to see your smiling face on the run.

Tea said...

What an incredible improvement! Congrats!

Cyndi said...

I am not surprised at all that you had a great race!! You looked so strong and confident during our ride on Saturday that I knew you were going to rock that Naylor's course! Congrats on a great day!! Can't wait til IMFL!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did this race. It was awesome to have your support and calming influence pre-race and to see your smiling face out there on the run!

Unknown said...

That sounds great!!! I'm positive its that way cool water bottle that gives you the extra oomph!
We should ride soon!

Kermit

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

Great job! And great race report!
Congratulations!!

Jonah Holland said...

THose are impressive time improvements! I think I'm going to finally do this race next year. I'm glad it is ok to walk one (and hopefully only one) hill.