CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rumpass in Bumpass - Race Report Part I

Race eve, I felt incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to spend the evening at TRIgirl JS's amazing home - about 40 minutes from where I live - but only 10 minutes from the race venue. Set in a gorgeous rural setting, I coveted her stars, porches and peace - not to mention her family built beautiful house.

When I arrived, TRIgirl JS and SuperAnnn greeted me in the driveway. A few hugs later, we leerily drove off to the race site for registration - and to brave the Lake Anna waters. We checked out the run course - which was a little more rolling than I expected - and TRIgirl JS noted that this was a recently posted new course. The previous route would have been much flatter. Sigh.

It was April 17th - and it happened to be my birthday. Though I did not realize it right away, my race number was 42 - my new age. Good luck? mojo? kismet? or just a cool race director? I didn't know, but it was a fun coincidence. I'd be racing on the first day after my birthday with 42s on my arms, thighs - and my calf!

A few weeks ago, TRIgirl JS, PH. JB and SuperAnnn attempted the swim course - surviving about five strokes total due to frigid temperatures. The week or two leading up to the race was tenuous - with worries (for me, anyway) of a possible switch to a duathlon (run, bike, run).

With TRIgirl JS' cold water research tips and SuperAnnn's sherpa thoughtfulness, we ventured into Lake Anna. Cold? Heck yeah, but doable. We were all very relieved that the water had warmed a bit and the tips made a difference.

We set off to meet up with TRIgirl JB for a yummy pre-race dinner - at a lovely country "tavern" with stone walls, ambient lighting and a cozy, comfortable atmosphere. My plate (and wine glass) were practically clean by the end of the meal.

After dinner, it was back to the house as TRIgirl PH was due to arrive. Lots more laughs, a little more wine and some race preparations later, it was time to go to bed. I slept well and woke up at 7:00 - loving being able to leisurely get ready as the race did not start until 10:00.

Everyone seemed relaxed and in good spirits. The morning flew by - with some new race preparations - such as filling a few bottles with hot water and loading a kayak in SuperAnnn's car.

By the time we arrived at the race site, the air temperature was warm and the sun was strong. It was a perfect day weather wise - clear, blue skies and not much wind. The run would be a little warm compared to what we were all accustomed to at this point in the season, but thankfully, there was no humidity.

SuperAnnn headed in one direction with kayak in tow while TRIgirl JS and I headed in the other. We had a decent walk to transition, that included the 200-300 yards of off-road trail that was part of the run course.

Within minutes, we ran into the Barricudas. Barricuda BL was sidelined with a hip injury but came out to sherpa. With 42s written all over my body, I set up transition. My rack seemed fairly spacious and easy to find.

Finally, it was time to put our wetsuits on and "let the wild 'Rumpass' start!"

2 comments:

Ceeej said...

Where's part II? Where's part II?

I have to stop checking the blogs so often!

Great start - I'm really looking forward to the rest.

Denise W said...

Really enjoyed the Rumpass in Bumpass part 1. You were lucky on that start time...had no idea any started so late!!! I've never attended one w/ Big Daddy that started at 10. We were always up a the crack of dawn. Looking forward to part 2...