CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Irony

So the day after I had two of the strongest and most fun training swims in the past year, including a new personal best by almost 30 seconds in a 300, I find out it is likely my shoulder has a rotator cuff injury - that could lead to a full blown tear.

For the next two weeks I'll be taking prescription dose Aleve and Voltaren topical anti-inflammatory medication, plus adding a few specialized shoulder exercises to my daily routine. The goal is to reduce inflammation, while increasing strength and flexibility. We are going to hold-off on a cortisone shot until closer to IMUSA, in case the current course of treatment is not sufficient.

No butterfly or sets over 2000 for now either. But I can still swim.

The funny thing is that my shoulder doesn't seem to hurt THAT bad. Matter of fact, it was actually feeling a little better lately.

Yep, the goal will be to just finish IMUSA - but I am grateful to be able to participate. I've had a few friends who have dropped out of - or are worried about dropping out of - the race due to injuries way more challenging than mine.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn injuries...

Ceeej said...

Glad to hear you can still compete - hope the treatments work.

tri-ing races not cases said...

You need to talk to Bart who has been able to rehab to a good extent his torn rotator cuff. So sorry to hear that!

Denise W said...

Wish you well! Follow those orders...

Diane said...

If it comes down to it - don't fear the cortisone. I've had shots in both shoulders and haven't had any reoccurance (knock on wood...)

Robin said...

Ooooh and ouch. Wishing you speedy recovery, and congrats on your swimming breakthroughs!