CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rumpass in Bumpass - Race Report Part 2

My training buddies and I were in the same swim start wave – which was very cool. We eased into the water, chilly, but really not that bad. We went through the previous day's tips and added pouring hot water down our wetsuits – which was incredibly helpful. So much so, that even getting out of and back in the water was no problem.

After a final group hug, our blue cap wave was about to set off. I followed Ironwoman Canada’s directions to start more toward the front of the pack. The swim felt great and I didn’t even mind being close to other racers. The first yellow turn buoy arrived fairly quickly. At this point, I still had two racers on either side of me who had been swimming with me for awhile – so I just continued along with them around the turn.

Stroke, stroke, stroke, sight, don’t see the buoy for awhile.

Stroke, stroke, stroke, sight, still no buoy.

Stroke, stroke, stroke, there is the first buoy ahead.

Stroke, stroke, stroke, sight, look for next buoy.

Notice there are NO swimmers ahead and STOP.

My swim partners kept going while I looked around. Yep, no one was ahead, though a few poor souls had followed us – as we basically had made a U-turn and were heading back to the start. Did I just blow any chance of a PR within the first 10 minutes? Wasn’t my race number supposed to be a good omen? I saw a bunch of blue caps on the correct path and concentrated on narrowing the ever growing gap. Somehow, I caught up with a group of them by the second yellow buoy and, thankfully, managed to stay on course for the rest of the swim. My time was 32:10 – about 40 seconds off my best Olympic swim time – 5/15 in my age group. Considering the extra meters, I was grateful.

In transition, I tried not to dawdle as much as I usually do – and actually did OK – again 5/15 in my age group.

I was excited to get on Patriot Sangria. Before the race, I decided to push the bike – I had an average mph goal in mind if the weather was good and I was feeling strong.

I settled in, ate and drank a bit before the turn to the main road. Then, I gradually built up speed. Since my legs felt good – I tried to figure out that point between what I could maintain with a good push vs. what would be too much. The course was slightly rolling with one climb that was a bit deceiving and a beautiful smooth stretch of road where you could fly. Not many women passed me – and I gradually moved my way up through the crowd, passing a bunch of girls in green team shirts.

Around mile 10, I ran into TRIgirl JS – she looked strong and was having a great bike.

With loop one almost done, I looked for information about loop two. I saw a sign with different arrows pointing to the finish and the second loop.

I swear I followed the right arrow.

But as Devilface wisely commented a few years ago, sometimes you just get race drunk.

I think I sensed something was off – I called out, “Loop 2, Loop 2?” but I don’t think anyone heard me.

Then I see the transition area. Then the dismount line. I slow down and stop.

“Loop 2?”

“This is the finish. You missed it – it is back up by the main road.”

“SH*****TTTT!!!!”


I made it back to the main road to start loop 2 - adding probably a little over a half mile to the day's course. I cringed seeing all those green shirts again - and it took probably another 10 miles to make up lost ground. I was happy that I appeared to be maintaining my pace - maybe it was SuperAnnn's magic candy. I didn't know my overall bike time because I hadn't reset my the trip time (doh) before the race. When race results were posted later, I found out my bike was 1:18:29 - 4/15 in my age group. I met my goal and with a little cushion - especially if factoring in the extra distance!

Pulling in, it was great to see SuperAnnn and Barracuda BL's big smiles.

T2 wasn't quite as good as T1 - 9/15. Maybe because I wasn't nearly so excited about running as I had been about biking!

After leaving transition, it was back onto the trail from earlier in the morning. It was muddy in places - not overgrown, but with a few serious roots sticking up here and there. After pushing on the bike, I definitely felt that wonderful (awful) "brick" feeling - and more pronounced than I'd experienced in a long time.

The run out and backs were mostly on the road, with many rollers. It was getting warm - but still nice and dry - so dumping water felt good and kept me cool for most of the stretches between aid stations.

All the TRIgirls and I were pretty close on the run and we'd see each other on the out and backs. At one point, I told TRIgirl JS that I'd pay someone to do the second loop for me.

I had the Garmin for the run - so I knew my run was averaging at a slower pace than my best for an Oly race. I actually started to feel a little better during the last 2 miles (not that my pace improved at all). Though the last few hundred meters seemed much longer!

Coming around the corner to the finish, I saw and heard our great sherpas cheering. I mustered up a small sprint - and hoped the time I saw on the clock was right. And that the start time was right.

Because if it was...

I found out later my hopes came true. I had a PR - of a whopping 35 seconds - 2:59:28, just barely breaking 3 hours for the first time. Even with my lackluster run of 1:03:12 - 8/15. Overall, I finished 5/15 - with the fourth place finisher beating me by 15 seconds.

All my training buddies had solid races, too. TRIgirl JB shared my need for a compass as she missed a turn on the run and probably did an extra half mile (I'll take extra time on the bike any day vs. the run). And there was some hardware to celebrate! Barracuda BN placed first in his age group and TRIgirl PH finished second in hers. We waited to watch them receive their awards - very cool and impressive glass mugs - while sipping some of SuperAnnn's champagne.

I think all of us were enjoying the day - and we decided to extend it a little longer with a final stop back at TRIgirl JS' home.

For some Rumpus wine and cookies!

5 comments:

Revrunner said...

Thanks for your commentary on the race. Always interesting to get other people's impressions. I especially appreciated hearing about the hot water trick! I missed that altogether.

tri-ing races not cases said...

You had an awesome race! You should be way proud of your bike(okay other than the missed turn) :)! We'll definitely preride WL a time or two.

Unknown said...

You are such an inspiration :)Your report makes me want to do this race next year.
Congrats on a great day - you earned it!

Robin said...

First of all, Happy Birthday! I can't believe the race number coincidence, so cool!

Secondly, congrats on your PR and breaking 3:00, even with the extra biking thrown in. And early in the season too!

Diane said...

Congrats! What an awesome race! What was your bike pace?