CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Life after Ironman

While taking forever to complete my race report, life returned to normal in many ways, but changed in a few, too.

The week after Ironman was full of little celebrations, including a wonderful lunch for TRIgirl LD and me thrown by our coworkers, massage gift certificates from my brother and sister-in-law (whoo hoo!), creative scrapbooking items from my cousins, roses from the hubby and autumn flowers from my aunt and uncle. After about three days, I felt ready to resume training, so having get togethers planned with friends was probably a good thing that prevented me from foolishly attempting workouts that my body wasn't ready to handle.

With a week of complete rest, I started back up with a few short runs and swims. They went well and I've been gradually increasing distances and intensity. Though TRIgirls SL and CH - along with Coaches G and S - put my measly workouts to shame by completing the Richmond marathon a week after doing IMFL. And oh, by the way, TRIgirl SL and Coach S ended up qualifying for Boston!

We all had one piece of unfinished business left - tattoos as promised by Coach S. We ended up going in three groups - with 7 out of the 9 TRIgirls getting inked. TRIgirl DL and I headed off together. We both wanted to personalize our MDOTs a bit.



TRIgirl DL placed her pink MDOT on her right outside ankle and added a wave to represent her love for scuba diving.


I put mine on my left inside ankle. And choose an orange M for Florida, added a flower dot for all the TRIgirls and girlied it up some more. (Photos are from my cellphone - not the best quality.)

I freaked out for about a half hour afterwards, wondering what I'd done, but have had no regrets since.

Thanksgiving week was spent in NY. Lots of great times visiting with friends and family - and sharing my brother and sister-in-law's first Thanksgiving in their lovely new home. Many people were gushing congratulations and wanted to hear all the IMFL details - it was almost embarrassing! I started to think to myself - gosh, it wasn't all THAT. My parents even gave me a beautiful and thoughtful crystal necklace - circles - for the "complete" athlete. I totally love it!

Reminders everywhere of all the incredible support I know I am so fortunate to have.

8 comments:

TriGirl Kate O said...

Can't wait to see the tatoo in person. LD's is looking great! Travel home safe, and start planning for '08 races!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Sweet tatoo!

Happy to read you're having a good Thanksgiving weekend.

Stay tuned...

Tea said...

I LOVE THE TATs! You guys are so clever! Just perfect!

Diane said...

Love the tats! And the full, well detailed and thought out race report. You're amazing!

Unknown said...

Wow, the ankle is a hurty place. Looks good!

Unknown said...

OBTW, I hope you're keeping proper care of your art!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the tatoo!

Unknown said...

Hey - you said

"Hey - don't give up on the running just yet. A year ago - running anything over 6 miles was hard. Time, patience, hard work - baby steps..."

6 miles???? Try 6 feet for me. Still don't think so.