CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 01, 2007

IMFL - Pre-race Happenings...

So many great stories so far - not sure how I can write about them all and do them justice.

Tuesday, I drove down with Coach B and TRIgirl TB - caravaning with Guppies JW and SW. I planted myself in the back seat and had some of the best sleep I've had in awhile. Woke up to a very hot car at one point as TRIgirl TB and Guppy SW were watching the miles countdown before we ran out of gas. We made it to a gas station with less than 1 mile left!

We crashed Tuesday night at the Chateau Guppy, TRIgirl TB and I sharing the bunk beds. The next morning, we woke up to a fairly quiet looking Gulf and headed off for an open water swim. The water was a bit cooler than I thought it would be. Not too salty. So clear - you could see the little sea urchins in the ocean floor until the second buoy. Out in the deeper sections, the water darkened, with beautiful plankton snow - but still clear enough to see the swimmers around you. I exited the my first swim in Panama City feeling relieved and a little bit excited.

Then it was on to IMFL registration. Excitement was in the air. Coach B. told me about the ins and outs as I waited on line, got weighed, signed my life away, and left Ironman Village with my first Ironman logo item.


After a short run, it was time to help TRIgirl TB with preparations for dinner - and Coach B's birthday. An evening full of TRIgirls wearing pumpkin costumes and cowboy hats.




Wednesday morning, the TRIgirls woke up early for a practice swim at 7:00 - the same time IMFL should start on Saturday.

TRIgirl TB braved her fears for her first open water AND wetsuit swim. She was terrific and is already a natural in the Gulf. I think I need to find out what she is doing on November 3rd.


TRIgirl DL and I took a very easy and slow bike ride around Panama City - which can be quite blustery - especially with the wind tunnels created between hotels. Then it was onto a fun evening with her family for dinner and to meet up with the rest of the TRIgirls. Coach G gave an incredible inspiring speech to remind us of what we've accomplished this past year - even before even hearing the start gun. Supposedly the hard work is done.

Other than one long day coming up Saturday.



.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted. I've been wondering how you all have been braving the week. So proud of you all!!! you are so strong and are going to be AWESOME on Saturday.

Diane said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like a great week leading up to an epic day on Sat! I have to say I've never seen someone look so darn cute in a wetsuit, cap and goggles. Good luck! Have fun!

Jonah Holland said...

D, you look like a different person already. Like you've made the transition to Ironman....You look confident, like nothing could stop you....and nothing will.
THanks for all the great photos and the updates. I can't wait to see you finish...You know I'm gonnna cry when you do!

Anonymous said...

You look so calm, cool and collected. . .TOTALLY ready for the big day! Go get 'em! I'm already beaming with pride.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! We'll be thinking of you tomorrow!
Kacey & Family

margo said...

oh my gosh you guys are so freaking amazing. i don't even know what to say except you all look so beautiful and SO READY!!!

Anonymous said...

From your cousin Maureen Barbara told me about your races. Good luck in Florida. Your photos are great. You look strong, confident, and happy. You go girl.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures - which include "The Men of TriGirls" :) Me and Lauren have been getting excited all week - you go TriGirl! (and i just have to say that after taking a week off from jogging due to a sinus infection, I found myself wanting to stop after only half my run the other day - then smiled to myself as I thought about you and pushed myself on - you are inspiring in ways you don't even know!)