CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 05, 2007

Ironman Florida - Race Report Part 1

I'm stealing the multi post idea from other bloggers for the IMFL race report. It'll give me the chance to think through and remember each part of the race.

And I guess I'll just start with the details - and save the best stuff for last.

I went to bed around 9:00 on Ironman Eve - and even had a few hours of broken-up sleep. Around 2:00, I was pretty much awake for the day, though I stayed in bed. During those early morning hours, there were a few moments of anxiety. I tried to distract myself - to keep my mind as blank as possible - and it kind of worked. The worst of the nerves had passed when 4:00 came around.

Coach B and TRIgirl TB were already up and eating breakfast. I prepared my bagel, banana and carbo pro water. With a chaser of Immodium. The hubby woke up early to begin his day as my rock star sherpa.

Coach B needed to get to the transition area early, so we were out the door with our wetsuits and special needs bags by 4:45. Even though we arrived with plenty of time before the race started, we kept busy pumping tires, filling water bottles and putting last minute items in transition bags. TRIgirls SS and KO were not only super sherpas, but had volunteered, too, starting their day early with body marking. TRIgirl SS wrote my number - and added a smiley face to my age. TRIgirl KO had a thoughtful gift for each racer - an Iron Girl visor!

The hubby had left to get my parents, brother and sister-in-law. I was so happy and reassured to see my sherpa family before the race. TRIgirl DL and I headed off for one last bathroom stop and discovered everyone else had the same idea. By the time we finished, TRIgirl TB told us we better get our wetsuits on immediately and head down to the beach. TRIgirl SL's sherpa did a great job of helping pull our wetsuits on in record breaking time.



We followed the masses down to the beach and met up with TRIgirls AM and CH. A few tears were shed, but mine were due to actually finally being at this place, this moment, that was a year in the making. Coach S came bounding over to us, full of such excitement and energy, it made me smile. He led us in a TRIgirl cheer and the next thing I knew, the cannon sounded and we were on our way into the water.







On the beach, you really couldn't get the full impact of what 2200 racers looked like, as you only could focus on the people in front of you. We hit the Gulf. Gorgeous, crystal clear water that was calmer than any of our practice swims. All my worries about the mass start were gone, as the whole situation, bodies piling on top of other bodies, suddenly seemed humorous. I was already relaxed and loved every moment of the swim. (Thank you Coach S and Ironwoman Canada!) I even tried to hold my own when other swimmers were barreling over into my space. (I don't understand why some people are clueless that they are slamming someone in the head - especially in such clear water, but there were definitely some folks out there completely oblivious.) Most of the swimmers I was with were pretty polite, though.




The swim felt so good that I almost thought they shortened the course. My first loop took 38 minutes - a great time for me. A few sips of water - then it was back for the second loop (though I stopped for a pee break that just went on and on and on). The second loop was as wonderful as the first. The swim finish was in sight before I knew it and I was already wishing I could do the swim again instead of the run. Swim time - 1:22.

Exiting the water, I saw my husband and family - they were cheering loudly and I was thrilled to be able to catch them before walking through the showers.




I'd heard about the amazing powers of the wetsuit strippers. They had me on my butt pulling my wetsuit off within minutes. This, too, made me laugh. I walked a little, jogged a little to pick up my bike bag and entered the changing tent. It was packed - but the first thing I noticed was TRIgirl CD, finishing up her transition. Then I saw TRIgirl SK. Then Coach G, pumping away in the corner (did I mention that this incredible women gave birth like 3 months ago?). A few hugs and encouraging words later, I was in the corner putting on my cute new TRIgirl bike shirt. All the volunteers were busy, so I carefully went through my bag and thought about each item and what I was supposed to do with it. My transition time was pretty sad - 12 minutes. But I was relaxed and prepared. I was excited about the bike. I was having fun.

My race had started off beautifully.

9 comments:

Tea said...

YOU ROCK!
I can't wait to read the rest!

That's an incredible swim time.

Congrats!

Robin said...

Awesome swim time!!! I'm so glad the weather was beautiful and the swim calm (well, as calm as it can be with 2,000 other people), it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I can't wait to read the rest of your report.

Anonymous said...

I want to keep reading!!! Give us more. . .

You worked so hard and were deserving of an incredible race.

Cheers!

J.Strebel

Anonymous said...

keep going! I'm hooked and can't wait to read the rest. This is (and YOU are) amazing. Thanks,
Patty

margo said...

i heart you.

Diane said...

You effing ROCK! What an amazing swim!!! Can't wait for more!

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

You rock! It was great to watch you accomplish this with a smile the whole way!

Nancy Toby said...

Congratulations!

I'm glad to see from the photo there weren't dozens of athletes cutting inside the buoys AND CHEATING like there were last year!

Unknown said...

Just awesome!