CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ironman Florida - Race Report Part 3

The bike to run transition was a much calmer experience than T1. Less racers - and I had my own personal, wonderful volunteer - TRIgirl KO. She gave me a hug and asked how the race was going. Then she proceeded to help me go through my bag - and in a reassuring, relaxed demeanor, asked me "What do you need?" In my somewhat delirious state, I told her I needed to see everything I had packed, to remember what I'd planned for the run! I changed my socks and put on running shorts. Loaded up my fuel belt and hooked in my inhaler. Visor, sunglasses, sneakers. One last photo taken by TRIgirl KO - another hug. And it was time to run.


I was stopped by another volunteer who told me to turn around my race belt so that the number faced forward. Which involved taking off my fuel belt, twisting things around, slinging back on the fuel belt. And then it was really time to start the run.

I looked down at my watch - I was 8:25 into the race - a bigger cushion than I'd ever hoped for to get through my first marathon distance.

The long brick weekends prepared me for what to expect. My legs felt a little swollen and tired, but not much different than when I started the BB&T trail run.

The sun was shining strongly for 2/3 of the first loop. Feeling the heat, I was looking forward to nightfall. I stuck with my plan to walk the aid stations, alternating Gu, endurolytes, water, gatorade, cola, etc. After a few miles, I ran into TRIgirls KB and SK who were nearing the end of their first loop - they were having an amazing race, but still took the time to stop, give hugs and share race updates.

Looking down at my watch during the first 6 miles, I'd occasionally see paces under 10 minutes per mile. Which I knew was too fast - and an important reminder to slow down. Garmin died out at about 9:30 into the race. The first half loop went by pretty quickly. My legs had adjusted to running mode. Then I saw TRIgirl CD, who looked steady and strong. After running the turn around through the park, the inspiration board lit up with a "Go TRIgirl 40" message.

The rest of the first loop continued. The sun began to set, casting a pretty glow on all the racers. There were runners whizzing by, probably on their way to finishing the race. There were also many walkers. Coach G and TRIgirl SL ran by me with encouraging words. They are such amazing runners - and were out of my line of vision within minutes. I saw TRIgirls LD, CH and DL - though I must have missed TRIgirl AM - which had me worried a bit. Around mile 9 or 10 I saw my husband, parents, brother, sister-in-law, Coach M and Ironman RE. Seeing them was such an energy and mood booster! I felt so fortunate - and grateful - to have them there.

Toward the end of the first loop, I saw TRIgirl sherpa KB with a big smile on her face, which made me smile. Then I was at the special needs station, grabbing my long sleeve shirt to add to the collection of race items gathered around my waist, while ditching my visor and sunglasses. Dusk was settling in. A volunteer handed me a glowstick, which I tossed over my neck, then headed out to start loop two. Ran into TRIgirl KB again for a hug and photo.




The course was more familiar the second time around. The curved streets decorated with inspirational posters. The spectators and locals lined up through the more populated sections, some dressed in costumes, some partying hard, some with megaphones calling out funny commentaries and messages.

And then, my family again! This time I stopped and gave them each a big hug - until my husband reminded me to get going! But not before hearing how Coach S was giving kisses to babies as he rocked through his Ironman.

A mile or two after the high of seeing my family, my stomach started to feel a little off. Sloshy. I tired to push through the discomfort , but it was getting worse. Cramps. Feeling sluggish. I remembered the advice of the coaches and Ironwoman Canada - take care of things as they come up. So, I made a deal with myself to walk a mile, drink much less, use the bathrooms (which were really becoming disgusting) - and check in again after the next aid station. Cautiously, I walked, waiting for the little tantrum in my tummy to subside. I felt better after the next aid station - and began running again - very slowly - and still limiting my fluid intake.

After hitting the turn-around point on the second loop, things were looking up. I was using the bathrooms quite often, but my stomach seemed much more stable. Around this time, I had a discussion with myself.

You know, you can go back to walking - it would be much easier.

I'm OK - everything is feeling better.

You're ahead of where you thought you'd be at this point - so why not walk?

Nah, I'm hanging in there.

Really, it would be fine to walk for awhile.

Geez, I'm doing an Ironman! For goodness sakes, I am going to run for as long as I can!


And with that decision, a gradual, steady stream of adrenaline began to hit me.

Since the beginning of the run I'd been alternating places with a few girls in Warner Brothers jerseys. I ran by them and told them it was great playing leap frog with them. They told me they'd be passing by again soon.

But they never did.

For each of the last six miles, I felt stronger and stronger. The aid station walks were getting shorter. My pace seemed to be picking up.

I saw several TRIgirl teammates at various points. I was relieved to see TRIgirl AM during this loop, hanging with TRIgirl LD. TRigirl CH ran over to me - with a big kiss - saying she'd see me before midnight. Which made me tear-up. TRIgirl DL, who was about to have the best negative split out of all of us for her second loop.

Passing the mile 23 sign, I started to feel better than I had the entire run. A few folks cheered when another woman and I were running by "We've got some girls still running!" Soon there was just a 5K left...

After a few turns, I was on the main road back to Ironman Village. There was Alvin's Island (of course it was dark - unlike this photo!).


And I remembered Ironwoman Canada saying - "You'll know you're almost home when you see Alvin's."

For a crazy second, I wished there were a few more miles.

My first Ironman was drawing to a close...

8 comments:

Diane said...

It's so great to see how all your hard work really paid off. You are amazing, and you are an IRONMAN. Congratulations on a phenominal accomplishment.

Annn said...

I think I have read these posts a million times. And every time I find myself smiling with watery eyes. They are so special and inspiring!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story.

Anonymous said...

You've captured the Ironman spirit and enthusiasm in your posts. I'm in awe of your guts and determination. You ARE and IRONMAN!
Congratulations!

Jennifer Strebel

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog - and I really, really loved sharing the IM experience with you. You are a fantastic person & friend. Love you!!

SusieQ

Robin said...

Awesome. How great is it to feel *stronger* in your last miles. You really put the training in to make it happen and to do it up right. Congrats on such a terrific Ironman race. Your enthusiastic smile says it all!

Cyndi said...

DB,

You certainly did look SO strong out there!! What a fantastic race report! I know that I was there to see it, but hearing you tell it through your eyes makes me feel like I got to race with you side-by-side!! You are an amazing athlete and fantastic all-around gal! Congrats again!!!!!

xo

C

Anonymous said...

I like how you say your "FIRST Ironman...!"
Can't wait for more. Keep the reports coming!
Patty

Jonah Holland said...

Wow. Feeling better and faster at the end. I love it!