CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ironman Florida - Race Report - Finally, The Finish

With Alvin’s in sight, I passed the last aid station.

One mile left.

A year of training.

244,100 meters swam.

2,683 miles biked.

687 miles ran.

So many lessons learned.


For the first time in the race, I was having a real conversation with another runner, more than just a "Looking strong" or "Great job". About a quarter mile till the finish - I decided we should both have our own moment when hitting the banner. I picked up my pace a little and told this sweet, first time IMer "Congratulations, Ironman!" But I held back, too. I wanted to savor the last few minutes.

Soon, I was in my own space surrounded by a wildly cheering crowd. I looked around to see who they were yelling for - and realized they were going crazy for each and every racer - including me. Waving to people calling out my name, the finish line was just yards away. I caught my Dad and brother walking toward the finish area. Mike Reilly was talking about how even though it might be more politically correct to use the term "Ironwoman" - all race finishers were called an Ironman.

And then, my name, my hometown - and "You are an Ironman!"


Looking up I saw my time, 14:08. Better than I'd ever hoped.

I'd always thought I'd cry if/when I crossed the finish line. But I didn't. I was just too incredibly dazed, relieved, awed - overjoyed.

An ambush of volunteers. Someone walked next to me, "How are you feeling?" "I feel GREAT!" Someone took my timing chip. Someone gave me a foil blanket. Someone handed me a finisher's shirt and hat. Someone draped a medal around my neck.
Coach G and B were right there - smiling widely. Coach G and I shared a huge hug, full of many unspoken words, thoughts, feelings and memories. Another one with Coach B.

Then, my mom and sister-in-law next - more fabulous hugs and a mad rush to spill out 14 hours worth of experiences. My dad, brother and husband squeezed in through the group. I was overwhelmed with their excitement, pride and love. I can only think of a few moments in my life that compared to this joy, exhiliration - and sense of accomplishment

The next few hours were a blur of catching up with my teammates, cheering in more TRIgirls and other racers, taking a bunch of photos, having a much appreciated, long, massage and slowly moving my stiff and swollen body.



So, this race report has taken two weeks to complete - time for recovering, reliving and celebrating. And to think about all the amazing people who've generously helped, supported and inspired me along this journey. The friends, family and coworkers cheering from afar, the TRIgirl sherpas and volunteers - and the unbelievable folks that were in Florida with me.



My wonderful and talented coaches:

  • Ironwoman Canada – Finding the winning analogies to make this athletically challenged girl finally have “aha” moments. Loaning me your way cool race wheels. Preparing me mentally, as well as, physically.
  • Coach S – Encouraging us to love and “be one” with the water. Promising us pink MDOT tattoos. Running over to us early race morning with such contagious joy.
  • Coach E – Teaching bike skills one challenging drill at a time. Teaching me to understand the beauty of the draft. Teaching me to believe a baby bicyclist may lurk inside this middle age body.
  • Coach M – Words of wisdom (“It is what it is”) and pain (“Yummy”). Words to motivate (“Look at that steady pace.”). And words to make you believe (“You all were ready for IM three weeks ago” [before our taper!].)
  • Coach B – Tirelessly listening and answering any race or training question. Dragging a grill and tons of food to our Eastern Shore weekend. Ensuring that we savor every moment of the IM experience. Showing us that the fortitude to complete an IM sometimes needs to be dug out from deep within.
  • Coach G – Inspiring all women through TRIgirls. Inspiring moms by racing just a few months after giving birth. Inspiring me to believe I could attempt – and holy cow – finish an Ironman.


My awesome and awe inspiring teammates - and the memories we've shared:

  • TRIgirl KB – Taking pity on a very tired TRIgirl 40 on a long and windy Route 14 ride. Inspiring me with your athletic talents, but also, your humble and caring attitude.
  • TRIgirl SK – Riding with me for a few minutes and giving me a glimpse of one of the strongest female bicyclists around. Seeing you - and your wonderful, genuine smile - during training workouts.
  • TRIgirl SL – (My fellow 40 year old TRIgirl Ironman!) Sharing tears pre-race and wine post-race. Making me laugh and relax with your reassuring and witty observations on training - and life!
  • TRIgirl CD – Organizing the details for our crazy group. Being our mom by planning water stops during long runs and cooking yummy dishes to fortify us at the Eastern Shore. Inspiring us with famous quotes and your own words that were always the perfect message for the moment.
  • TRIgirl LD – Car pooling together to the VITA course. Showing me that a competitive spirit during a race has its place along with lolly gagging around looking at flowers and trees.
  • TRIgirl AM - The first TRIgirl to dare - to take the plunge and commit to Ironman! Sharing fantastic training (Lake Chesdin) and post-race experiences (Opus 9) with you and Devilface.
  • TRIgirl CH – Being a voice of perspective - a missed workout would not cause us to bomb at a race. Reminding me Ironman is awesome, but needs to kept in balance with the really important things in life.
  • TRIgirl DL - (Did you ever think we’d ever complete an Ironman when we were training for the Nags Head sprint years ago?) Being a pace Nazi on our long runs. Riding many dark and cold mornings together. Thinking about all you’ve overcome - your determination and fortitude.

My incredible family:

  • My brother and sister-in-law - Checking in on my training and coming up with thoughtful gifts and messages that helped me survive the past year. Flying down to Florida to share this experience. Being the absolute best brother and sister - so grateful I lucked out with both of you!


  • My mom and dad - Showing the perfect amount of concern and encouragement . Being my biggest cheerleaders. Coming to Panama City to share this experience. Your pride and joy recharged me during the race - and made achieving this goal even more memorable.



  • The hubby - Picking up the slack this year to take care of our furkids. Running errands to keep me well fed, even for some of my crazy cravings. Being my sherpa race day and taking care of all things even before I realized they needed to be done. Supporting me and understanding the importance of this demanding goal and lofty dream.


And so ends my journey to Ironman. The road more winding, challenging and rewarding than ever anticipated. The ending more glorious and joyful than ever imagined.


TRIgirl 40 = Ironaman.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many, many congratulations. I still can't believe what an awesome race you ran! You are such an inspiration and I'm very lucky to have you as my sorority sister.

margo said...

that is so inspiring!! can i have some of your amazing mojo for my journey to come??

Unknown said...

I was looking forward to reading the end. Many congrats for on reaching the goal in fine form. I remember years ago you riding with us....never thought you had *this* in you.

Simply amazing. Enjoy!!!

Jonah Holland said...

We love you D! Thanks for paving the road for many TRIgirls to come.

Cyndi said...

Awww, DB!! You are amazing -- in so many, many ways!!! What a fantastic post. You brought me right back to those moments of thankfulness and joy that I felt right after I crossed the finish line. I'm so happy to know you and so lucky to be able to call you a friend and teammate.

Much love,

C

Brian said...

Wow, you really kick A$$.

Good job on your race, some day I hope I get a chance.

-Brian

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Well written, D. And, worth the wait. Congraulatilons Ironman!

Stay tuned...