CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Signs

When all (or even almost all) the arguments are gone for something your really want - maybe you just have to take a deep breath, have trust and go for it.

A week or so ago, Triathlonmom posted an incredible deal about a locally advertised top notch time trial/triathlon bike. The kind of bike I could never imagine owning or being able to afford - except it was on sale for 1/3 of its value - close to what I paid less than a year ago for Amarone.

I emailed the seller, but around the same time, I noticed another TRIgirl must have called, too. She posted on our forum that she was going to see the bike. She had first dibs in my book - and I didn't even want to let her know I was interested in case it would pressure her. There was still my whole other list of reasons of why I shouldn't even pursue it.

She decided against the bike.

So the seller called me again to see if I was interested. I threw out the next obstacle - how big was the bike? Amarone is a size 54 - and as I later learned, too big for my just under 5'5" frame.

He is 5'4" - the bike was custom made for him - about a size 50. From what I've learned more recently, a 48 might be slightly better, but the bike was a size that was more in range.

Maybe the bike was a bunch of hype - so I went out this week to check it out. I told my husband, who made a comment about a car expense planned for next month, "I am just going to SEE the bike."

The 2006 bike looked brand spanking new. I swear I don't think there was any grease on the chain. I found out the seller put it on the market because of health conditions - he could ride, but no longer compete in races. He said he could sell all the components for more than what he was selling the bike - but really wanted the bike to go to someone who would appreciate it. He spoke with such affection and enthusiasm for the bike and his racing days - it was touching.

I took the bike out for a ride. Wow! So light - so light that I felt a little unsettled. So smooth. Everything just worked much better than anything I've ever riden - from the brakes that were quiet and extremely responsive to even the clipless pedals, which I clicked in and out of effortlessly. I rode around his neighborhood - the shifters were on the aero bars - which I would need to get used to - but have actually been thinking would be a great next step as I've started to really appreciate riding in an aero position. There would be a learning curve to get used to the bike, but hitting 18-19 mph with moderate effort (but less than I was used to on the flats) seemed promising.

I noted the components to see if they matched what had been posted in the ad. I Googled them and saw that they were high end and highly rated. Here are some of the specifics:

Custom Teschner FX Pro TT/Tri frame
Easton TaperWall 7005 Aluminum With:
- Aero Tapered Race Down & Seat Tube
- Aero Profile GX2 Scandium Top Tube
- Aero Ultralite Fast Back Seat Stays
- Ovalised and Tapered Scandium “S” Bend Chain Stays
- Internal Rear Brake & Rear Der. through top tube. Front Der. through down tube
- Integrated Headset Easton Carbon EC90Aero fork
- Oval Concepts full carbon aero bars
- Oval Concepts Stem Chris King Head Set
- 700c America Classic 420 wheels black with their special bladed spokes
- Titanium Quick Releases
- Groupo 9 Speed Dura Ace: Cassette 11-23 Dura Ace TT/Tri Chain Rings 56-44 Dura Ace Bottom Bracket, Dura Ace Front Derailleur, Dura Ace Crank Arms, Dura Ace Rear Derailleur, Dura Ace Brakes, Dura Ace Bar End Shifters, Dura Ace Look Carbon CX-6 Pedals

I thought about it for a day or so. I started to think how I could cover the costs. Maybe selling Vinho Verde and/or Amarone, a bit of stock I'd been holding onto for years that wasn't doing much - that would just about cover the price tag. A nagging part of me felt unworthy of such a high tech bike.

When I approached the hubby a few days later - and sent him all the specifics about the bike, he told me to go for it - which was a wonderful sign of support and just what I needed to call the seller and tell him I was ready to make an offer. I'd exhausteded just about all the doubts and guilt. I wanted the bike, but felt a bit indulgent about buying something less than a year after Amarone. Maybe I should have done more research a year ago - or not trusted the bike store that told me that the Amarone looked great for me.

The part of me that, growing up, wanted to make sure every stuffed animal was equally loved - also made me feel a bit loyal to Amarone. She is a good bike - a good climber - and if I can find a way to keep her - I will.

Another part of me wondered about the seller - would he be riding 10-15-20 years from now? He seemed in good spirits and health - and it was beyond my comfort level to pry further.

But tomorrow, with residue worries of something that seems too good to be true, I will pick up my new ride - one that needs a new wine related name for her red, white and blue frame.

I am going for it - I am not fighting the signs.

8 comments:

margo said...

good for you! you so deserve this bike!! and it's totally ok to sleep in with your dogs - that's what they're around for!

Melissa said...

congratulations on your new family member! you completely deserve her and she will develop her name soon. can't wait to watch your blazing speed whiz by me!

Jonah Holland said...

OMG I am so happy for you. Did you see that article I posted about TRI vs. Road bikes....That has convinced me too to upgrade from my Amarone-like Bummblebee with clip-on aeros too. I can't wait to see her. Training for IMFL you totally deserve and need this bike.

Jonah Holland said...

ps why don't you call her the Patriot in honor of your next race and her colors. ps i love how it says Dura Ace all over the chain ring.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like an awesome bike!!!

SQ

TriGirl 40 said...

Triahlonmom - Yes - I knew I was forgetting another sign - your article was also one! I love the idea of naming her Patriot - though she may still need a wine middle name. Thanks for the great idea!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Titanium... carbon... Dura Ace... *SWOON*

Can't wait to see pix of your new ride!

Diane said...

Good fot you! Maybe she's your well deserved reward for Eagleman.