CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 11, 2007

The Thrill of Victory (or Just Finishing) -
The Eagleman Race Report

Before going into the race report, let’s pick up where we last left off...

When the TRIgirls were about to leave their lovely waterfront rental to bring their bikes to the transition area and check out the course…

During packet pick-up on Friday, the race venue was fairly empty. When we arrived on Saturday, it was like no race we’d ever seen. About 90% of the bikes were high end – Zipp tires, carbon, suspension frames, stuff I couldn’t even identify. I felt like I had “dumb newbie” stamped across my forehead. Maybe my first half-Ironman (or 70.3 as TRIgirls CH and AM decided it should always be called) shouldn’t have been a Kona qualifier.

We walked over to check out the swim. I’m usually more comfortable in the water than some of the other TRIgirls, so I kept what I was really thinking to myself, “We’re supposed to swim in that???” Millions of rough looking white cap waves were barreling across the Choptank. A few racers trying out the swim course were pulling into the exit ramp, which looked calmer, but not much.

I decided to stick with my plan to get in the water. I wanted to know what would hopefully be the worst to expect. We walked over to the swim start. The water also appeared calmer at the entry point, so I was relieved. A few other TRIgirls decided to swim out to the first buoy with me. Good news – the water was warm - no undertow (nor jellyfish!). The less than good news, there was definitely some sloshing around going on, which worsened by the first buoy. I worried a bit about what that might mean as the turn around was quite a bit further into the river. The swim seemed doable. Though I can’t say I was entirely comfortable with the idea of swimming 1.2 miles in the Choptank.

We drove the bike course. Flat. Some scenic views. Some boring miles. But did I say FLAT? No concerns there.

We had just enough time to make it to our pre-race dinner, where we even celebrated Coach M’s birthday. Then we went home, finished up our transition bag packing and went to bed. I thought about the words of wisdom from the TRIgirl Coaches and Ironwoman Canada. I checked out my “Going Long” book and shared a few tips with the TRIgirl racers. I actually, sort of, had a race plan.

Now on to the actual race report…

Six hours, and, maybe, three hours of disrupted sleep later, it was time to get out of bed. Eagleman Race Day had arrived. The weather was promising. Cool and very overcast.

Thanks to TRIgirl KO’s friend’s connection, we lucked out with valet parking and a few tips from an experienced volunteer and racer.

Even with dropping off the bike the day before, I felt there was just enough time to set up my transition area. Irongirl AM and I tried to juggle one last porto-potty stop, braiding her hair and leaving the transition area before it closed.

Then the worst part of the day. Waiting to actually begin. I’ve never cried before a race, until Eagleman - between an encouraging TRIgirl cheer, the stress from the previous few days – and my own fears and doubts. Thank you, TRIgirl SL, my fellow 40-44 racer Eagleman morning, for the perfect amount of support and distraction.

I was in the first women’s wave – pink caps. There were beautiful sun rays streaming out of the heavy cloud cover. A kind woman next to me must have sensed my panic and told me not to worry, she was a slow swimmer. I took both these events as positive signs.

I positioned myself toward the back and far side of the course. I did not want to be swam over. 30 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds, it was time to go!

I started swimming. About a third of the pack took off like lightening. Before the second buoy, I’d worked my way to my own space, closer to the buoys. The water was calmer than my pre-race trial. By the third buoy, I started to enjoy the Choptank. I knew I would finish the swim.

I remembered part of my plan. To swim at a relaxed pace that would not leave me tired. And it worked. Sometimes, I thought about my form. I struggled a few times to stay on the course. I sighed when a bunch of orange caps from the wave behind mine passed me like I wasn’t even there. I had hoped to finish the swim in 45-50 minutes, but after seeing all those swimmers kick my butt, I figured it was too ambitious. The exit was a little harder to find than I expected – and included about 100 yards of some black grunge that was absolutely disgusting. Exiting the swim, I looked down at my watch. 40 minutes and a few seconds. Out loud, I said “Wow, that’s not bad!” TRIgirl DL’s husband was right there, heard me and cheered me on.

(PG moment) In the transition area, I thought about all the debate about peeing on the bike, - I still didn’t know if I wanted to ruin my expensive seat or bike shoes, but I did “relieve myself” next to Amarone, in a very conservative way.

With the fear part of the race over, I was looking forward to the bike. The course was so flat, I was psyched. I remember more of my plan; push on the bike only when overcoming the swim.

Check! Except that, when I accomplished my “check” point and felt like I could push the bike a little, everyone was still passing me. For the first half of the bike, I occasionally peeked at Garmin, seeing 18-20 mile per hour paces. But bike after bike was passing me. All I could do was be a “polite passee”.

Who were these aliens and how did they bike so fast?

I remembered more of my plan. Hydrate, eat and save those legs for the run. The sun was growing stronger. Heat is not usually a factor for my bikes, but it can hurt my runs.

Thanks to my “Sip Away” cup and few “girly” stops to refill, I was keeping hydrated (I pulled over, came to a complete spot, fumbled with my bottles, then resumed bicycling (true competitors grabbed their hydration of choice and gracefully placed it in their aerobar bottle or water cages)).

I was not doing well with my nutrition plan of 200 calories per hour. The broken-up Powerbar was way too heavy. The PBJ sandwich was marginally better. I ate 1/3 of what I packed, then, focused on a few sports beans every 5 miles. I had a slight headache; I figured it was either calorie or hydration related.

Halfway through the bike, some serious, famous Eagleman wind kicked in – my pace was more in the 14-15 mph range. Toward the end of the bike, I found a few similar cyclists. We all kind of hung in our bike positions for the last quarter of the ride. I wanted to finish the bike in 3:30, my 3:17ish time made me happy, though I still wondered how all those racers passed me!

I dismounted the bike and remembered how I felt after the
Crackhead Invitational. Tired legs can still run. Ignoring my desire to plow through as many miles I could, as fast as I could (now, now, don’t laugh), I remembered the TRIgirl coaches and Ironwoman Canada's advice – walk through the water stations.

This tidbit saved my run. As anyone who knows me can confirm, I truly suck at running. While I think just about every Eagleman racer passed me on the bike (when I thought was holding a decent pace) I was able to hang with my group of fellow backpack runners. I walked every water stop, asking for two waters, dumping one and a half on my head and drinking the leftover, supplementing Accelerade and GUs from my geeky fuel belt. After seeing the unexpected cheering squad of Ironfolk KB and SS, around mile two, it was another confirmation, no matter how much I might have to walk, I would finish this race.

The weather gods were kind. The sun during the bike was mostly gone for the run. Other than some mild humidity, the run was cloudy and temperatures were in the upper 70s. I held a consistent running pace - around 10:30-11:00 minutes per mile from start to end. Walking the water stops put my average around 11:40.

Even in a race as big as Eagleman, TRIgirl force is still powerful. During the run, I think I saw every TRIgirl racer and the Maramarc folks. One man and I kept pace. He was running more of the course, but I would pass him between “water dumps and walks.” Around mile 10, I passed him. “OK, [TRIgirl 40] – you really do look great.” He’d heard all the TRIgirl racers and support crew’s words of encouragement for many a-mile.

And so the TRIgirls and I finished…

The “end” was beautiful. I felt strong enough to pick up the pace as TRIgirl racers and supporters cheered me in. I didn’t know or care if my name was announced at the finish, I just wanted to find the amazing crew who either had completed the race or who had driven over three or four hours to support us. (In addition to TRIgirls KB and SS, TRIgirls SG, Jones and Fave, made the long trek from Richmond to cheer us in. TRIgirl JR and her son, helped set up the RTC tent with beverages and food.

I wanted to finish under 8 hours. I thought, if the moons aligned, I might hit somewhere between 7 – 7:30. My time was around 6:41:48. I knew the generous weather gods and the quieted Choptank were big factors.

But it still felt great.

Many TRIgirls’ times were within minutes of mine – but more importantly we all crossed the finish line. So many women, all beating their own demons, self doubt and physical exhaustion – conquered Eagleman. On one fine day in June 2007.

Postscript…

There are just so many people who helped me finish this race.

Coaches – your ability to challenge and propose training regimes I never thought I could do helped me believe I was capable of more than I ever hoped.

Teammates – thank you for being there for the training and the race – whether providing encouragment, sharing a happy face or being a pace Nazi!

Supporters – thanks to all who drove miles, shared tears, took pictures – and just “understood” the importance of this accomplishment to the competing TRIgirls.

Family – my parents, siblings, siblings-in-law, step-siblings, husband and furkids – somehow, I’ve hit the jackpot with having an amazing family.

12 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

Great Race report....I'm so proud of you! THanks for waiting for me at the finish.

Anonymous said...

Perfect race report -
Love you!

SQ

Diane said...

Congratulations on a FABULOUS race! You are amazing!!!!

margo said...

what a great race report! you looked so great as you finished - i was so happy to see you coming down the finishers row with your medal around your neck!!

truly inspiring for me to want to run that same chute next year!

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
You had an amazing race! I am so glad I was able to share in this most memorable experience with you! Love you!
Cheryl

Melissa said...

i am lost for words, TG40! i have such pride to be on a team with you all. i am inspriered by you all. i am so glad i got to shre in such an amazing tiem with you. you rock!! love you oodles! xoxo

Rebecca said...

congratulations on a terrifically surprising race! it couldn't have been a more perfect day to be out there. and it was a lot of fun to watch too!!

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Congrats on a fabulous race! Thanks for sharing the story with us : )

Robin said...

Yay TriGirl40, I loved reading your race report. Sounds like you have seriously underestimated yourself. Congrats on a great time, on beating those demons and fininshing strong. You look terrific!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish I could have been there to see you! I loved reading every moment! You are utterly, absolutely amazing, and of course, you are mine!
Love,
Mamayogasan

carmen said...

I LOVE DB!!!!!!!!!!

Vickie said...

Great race report. What a great group you belong to! And I love your outfits. Congratulations on your finish too.