CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Powerkids!

This morning, I headed out to watch the Powerkids Triathlon.

I had to smile when I arrived and saw all the young competitors lined up, some with fancier tri-clothes than mine and all of them "raced" up with magic marker numbers on their arms and legs. I even heard a few giving transition tips to their friends.

The race started off with a pool swim. The kids jumped in the water, some on alert in "race position" waiting for the "Ready, Set, Go!" I watched the swimmers for awhile. Some obviously were on a swim team. Some struggled to finish the one or two laps, grabbing onto the ropes and pulling themselves along. None gave up. A few looked dazed getting out of the water. A couple were serious - whipping off their swim caps and goggles with a look of fierce determination as they sprinted to the bikes. I saw myself in some, too - the little chubby girls smiling and trudging along.

The race coordinators and volunteers were wonderful (including TRIgirl JRo). They waited for a racer who lost her timing chip and helped place it back on. They cheered on a swimmer finishing a lap alone as the rest of the wave was long gone. They announced the finishers over a loudspeaker with individualized comments.

It was great to see TRIgirls JR, DS and RW's kids race. TRIgirl JR's son had a fabulous swim and I could tell Mom was proud - and Irondad, too. TRIgirl DS ran by later, pointing to the cutest little girl on the run and calling out - "that's my daughter." I swear she had her Mom's form, speed and grace.

I think I may have found my biggest inspiration for tomorrow's PowerSprint from these young racers.

Go, Powerkids, Go!

1 comments:

Diane said...

You're such a sweetie! Thanks for coming out and cheering on the kiddies. You looked strong and beautiful during your own race today!