CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Biking Metacognition

What I know and what I don't know.

Let's start with what I don't know.

Last week, I took advantage of a TRIgirl offer for a bike fitting. Naively, I walked into Jim Miller's office thinking - yeah, my aerobars need adjustment, but I'm probably being over indulgent - with his time and my money.

Wrong.

Two and half hours later, I knew more. Before Amarone came into my life, Vinho Verde gave me her all. Toward the end, I knew we weren't right for each other. I couldn't figure out why at the time, but after my initial rides with Amarone, it became clear. Vinho was the wrong size for me - her frame was too large.

So Amarone seemed like a huge improvement. But, while the height was fine - well, actually set too short for me, it turns out the problem is Amarone's front tube is too long. Like four inches.

Let's just say, Jim lost money on me. He investigated every nook and cranny on my bike to find two of the four inches needed to improve my torso reach. And gave recommendations on how to achieve the last two inches, after Eagleman - by adding a shorter handlebar stem and a zero setback for my seat.

So many adjustments were made during the fitting that Jim recommended a modified week of bike training - my body might balk at all the new settings.

OK, let's take a break for a minute from why I should never be allowed in a sports good store without supervision. What I know...

This week, our training schedule called for a 50 mile ride. The longest we have done. A group of Ironman folks I train with were heading out to the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains to complete the miles. I decided to stay closer to home and ride this milestone distance on familiar territory - with a few of my fellow TRIgirls.

I felt in my heart that Blue Ridge was too big a jump for me - between the distance, the unknown traffic, the grinding uphills - and the even more scary downhills. I wish I could be the daring type of person who would see the ride as a challenge, but that is not who I am. Call me a chicken, but I need those small steps. Plus, the extra traveling time - with all the training, every hour I can spend at home seems precious.

And it comes together...what I know and what I don't know...

So, this Saturday, I headed out to West Creek. I'd reconciled with the fact that I would go as far as I was comfortable. Any sign of pain or unfamiliar discomfort - I would stop - no matter how many miles I did or didn't do.


I had a beautiful ride. The weather was perfect. The company of TRIgirls MJM, DL and Triathlonmom made everything more fun. Yeah, it was a familiar loop, but the miles passed by quickly and comfortably.

Key word - comfortably. I never felt so "at home" on Amarone. As the eight mile loops went by, I happily realized I was more comfortable on Amarone than ever. When we finished the 50 miles, I felt great. I felt strong. For the first time in weeks, I went home after a Saturday workout and didn't need a nap. (Well, maybe not having a brick run was part of the reason, but still...) I started to imagine how I might feel after the final adjustments can be made. Or if I could do it over and select a bike size that would be better for me.

It was a confidence building workout. I can't thank Jim enough for all his help in finding ways to make Amarone work better for me.

Could I have done Blue Ridge? I think I would have plugged my way through it.

Was it the right time for me to do Blue Ridge? Based on what I've heard from those who did - hmmm no. I would have been scared out of my gourd. I would have panicked at downhill speeds of over 35 miles - riding the brakes. I would have cursed the uphills (I think the most used word of the day by those who attended started with an "f"). Maybe I would have a sense of accomplishment after finishing, but I think it would be accompanied by feelings of fear and doubt. I just don't have that much experience, ability - or testosterone.

Will I do Blue Ridge? I hope so, but just not yet.

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

Deanna,

I applaud you for knowing what is right for you!!! Having seen you ride, I am sure that you could do Blue Ridge but what would you get out of it if you weren't enjoying yourself? It sounds like you guys had a fantastic ride at West Creek and you got in your miles in comfort with your new set up. (I have GOT to go see that guy!!) The Blue Ridge mountains aren't going anywhere so you have all the time in the world to decide if that's something you want to do!

See you soon!!!

Cyndi

Diane said...

Yeah for you and Amarone! Hmmm, maybe I need to see Jim Miller too... thanks for the recommendation!

Melissa said...

Awesome that you and your bike have a new bond! and i think yo ucould handle Blue Ridge - I think you rock out there!

Jonah Holland said...

You did look really really comfortable out there on Saturday...as for me, I still went home a took a nap!

Anonymous said...

Metacognition - such a great word. :)
Sounds like you had a great ride on a gorgeous day - what more can we ask for?

SQ