CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Monument 10K – Race Report

After all my moaning and groaning about this week’s bad runs, yesterday couldn’t have been a better day for a race.

The weather was perfect – 55-60ish and sunny.

I was a good girl the night before. After organizing all my race gear, I was in bed early with nary a sip of wine. I slept fairly well – and woke rested – no muscle soreness.

TRIgirls DL and LD – and honory TRIgirl AT – carpooled with me down to the race. We found parking reasonably quickly and met up with the mass of TRIgirls preparing to invade Monument Avenue.

TRIgirl DL and I started together in the same wave. Between padding my time and improving a bit since I registered, I probably was in the wrong heat, but I was able to find a clear path by sticking to the outside.

I knew we are supposed to try for a negative split during the race, but I just wanted to see if I was going to have any chance at meeting my goal for a race time averaging less than 10 minutes/mile. So, looking down after mile one and seeing a 9:23 time gave me hope.

Mile two was a 9:30. For most of mile three, I was maintaining about a 9:30-9:40 pace – though I took a break at a water stop – and ended up with a 10:06. Mile four – 9:34 (I think without the water, I would have slowed down – and I am glad I was able to get myself back up to a good pace for me). Mile five, I needed another water stop – 10:01. Mile 6 was a 9:59. And a sort of-almost sprint for the last .2 (which said .36 on my watch). Overall time – 1:01:26, beating my predicted time by 14 seconds and meeting my goal. I took off about 6 minutes from last year’s time – and 3 minutes from my previous PR.

TRIgirl Devil Face and I were even able to find a spot near the finish line to cheer in
my little sister, TRIgirl KB – who completed her first 10K.

Post race, it was TRIgirl reunion time. Just like the
Shamrock – everyone seemed to have a wonderful race. Standing around, I heard stories about amazing times, first time races, PRs everywhere.

A big thank you to TRIgirl AN who invited us over to her house for a great champagne toast.

Congrats to everyone on a great race
!

2 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

Great race! I was wondering if you Fasties ever stop for water!

Robin said...

Woooohooooo, congrats on your PR, that's terrific!!!! Sounds like a fun day was had by all.