CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Wipe Out!

Put me in a roller coaster – one that goes every which way, as fast as possible – any day or time – and I will love it.

Or let me ride as a passenger on a motorcycle or plane while someone else navigates its dips and turns – and I’ll think it is cool.

Place me on a bike with clipless pedals - and I’ll start envisioning being splayed out at a traffic light in front of a truck.

My fear of clipless pedals started about five or six years ago when I first purchased a used pair for Vinho Verde. I expected to fall a few times. The problem was I kept falling. When trying to stop, I’d push my foot down, twist and end up mangled on the curb. When climbing a hill, I’d reach a point where I couldn’t turn the pedals fast enough to keep moving forward and would perform an oh so graceful little dance of slowing to a crawl on the incline with my handlebars veering right, then left, before plummeting to the ground. Note the amazing aero form and pedal power from my early triathlon days. (Thank goodness for all the bike class training which will hopefully help with making it up those hills - or at least with taking a better photo.)

After about six months of embarrassing spills and countless bruises, I gave up, and put the pedal cages back on Vinho. As a matter of fact, probably a few months after that, I put Vinho in the garage for a few years for all but an occasional outing.

Until a little over two years ago, when Vinho and I started to hit the road again after joining TRIgirls. At first, I didn’t even notice who was riding what. And then, when I did, it was just the hard core folks with the upscale bikes who would be clipping in and out. But after more and more members of the group were dressing up their bikes with the clipless pedals, I started to feel the pressure and decided to give them another try.

This time, I purchased a new set - and a well known brand – after hearing that my problems may have been exacerbated by using a defective or worn out used pair. And I haven’t fallen – yet. Then again, I have only taken my bike on very safe and protected roads – places where I could clip out yards (and I mean yards) before needing to turn or stop.

But I want to feel comfortable using them. Like Mundy, who recently took a tour, not only through the hills of Brooklyn, but also across the Verrazano Bridge. Like my seventish aunt and uncle who ride together nearly every morning for 20 or 30 mile trips, with a regular donut stop along the way.

So, I’ve practiced clipping in and out – at various stages of a pedal stroke – during bike class the last few months.

Yesterday, we had a particularly tough class with Coach B. Lots of speed and intensity intervals. All of a sudden, the person next to me had a problem - her bike fell off the trainer - and was heading my way. It was one of those split seconds where a bunch of thoughts start flying through your head.

Oh my gosh, is she going to be OK?
Aack – she is falling onto me.
That can only make her fall worse.
Can I break her fall?
Can I stop myself from falling?
Are we both going to break our legs?

Next thing I knew, my training buddy (who I hope will please forgive me for posting this on my blog) was sitting on the ground – my bulk may have possibly slowed down her fall a little. Her elbow had a nasty cut and her back was a little sore, but overall, she was OK.


After the excitement died down and class was about to resume, I realized that I never did fall. I had made it through - still standing with my left foot out of the pedal. I didn’t remember consciously thinking about pulling my foot out. And I don't know if this whole clipping thing has become instinctive yet, but who knows, maybe it will after a few more scares on my trainer...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to do the happy dance. Sounds like you have mastered those nasty clipless pedals.

DL

Anonymous said...

Imagine how confident you are going to feel out on the roads this year!
And who would've thought indoor cycling could be so dangerous? :)

SQ

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

i love it! to hear you having a similar fear and then pushign through it to master pro! i may be able to clip in and out right now...but my bike is being held in place! (although once i missed and pushed the pedal around for my first training scar - i felt tough)

hate that i missed a good class! and i also hope that whoever feel is ok!

Jonah Holland said...

Hey! I was going to write about that on my blog! Just kidding! You took it like a champ....and I can tell your done falling...

Diane said...

Just think how much cooler and more professional you'll look when you finish the bike portion of IMFL with your clipless pedals and aerobars...

Robin said...

Clipless pedals can be really intimidating, good for you for mastering the fear! I remember all too well falling over when I first got the old fashioned kind, but the newer ones certainly are an improvement! You'll be a pro in them by November.

Ellie Hamilton said...

OH, yeah, been there. I put cages back on my bike after landing upside down with the bike on top of me, still clipped in, in the traffic lane, one time too many. Those were Speedplay's. After awhile of thinking it over, I got Shimano's, and mountain-bike shoes that had rubber tread on the soles, and, whooppeee, no more falls! Now I like clipless. I'm coveting a set of Look!s.

Nice going, hanging in there!

Thanks for looking at the pic of my firefighter son on my blog!