CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Thank You

Thanks so very much to all who commented, privately or publicly, on my last post. You've helped me get through a tough week.

A week full of digging deep for positive thoughts - and making peace.

Peace with:

  1. This race is not Florida. From the course, to the training, to the general mood. Last weekend's workout deflated my spirit. I will never conquer hills - there will always be bigger and more challenging climbs. (Tipping my hat to my talented, tough and inspiring Wintergreen training mates.)
  2. Balance is important. Training hard and playing hard both have their place. (Hugs to my Wintergreen rescue crew.)
  3. There are times when my body will benefit more from rest than additional miles. Especially on the run and especially when the left side of my body has rebelled against all recent hill workouts. (Thank you, Ironwoman Canada.)
  4. I have asthma. It isn't severe, but I haven't outgrown it and it isn't going away. Recent changes in my meds are not working and can't be ignored. (Please let my old meds still exist.)
  5. Though I've said this many times, in my heart I've truly had to accept it. IMUSA will be, once again, just about finishing. The course, as beautiful as it is, requires different strengths than the few I have. (Sweet sherpas, get your cowbells and markers ready!)

It is time to concentrate on reconnecting with my workouts - maybe with a little less confidence, but with a bit more realism.

Four weeks till taper.

4 comments:

margo said...

your insight into all of this has once again left me speechless. i think that while placid is certainly going to be an incredible challenge, you are going to rise to it and finish it with grace. i'm sorry i didn't actually see the last post sooner, but you really are going to be ready for this race. trust your training. trust your experience.

tri-ing races not cases said...

Well said Margo. You are way stronger than you give yourself credit to. Hopefully this past weekend gave you a boost in your spirit and some spring in your step. Keep the faith girl, we've got this thing. I think at this point, our minds need more training than our bodies :)

Robin said...

This speaks so much to the journey of the Ironman, it's as much about digging deeply emotionally as it is physically. You have all the strength you need to carry you through, and I for one can't wait to read about your race day experiences.

Diane said...

Just catching up on blog reading and have to agree with all the comments on this post and the last. You are the most modest super hero I've ever met and will continue to be regardless of what happens at Placid. And I'm always happy to be part of your rescue crew!!!!