CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Luray - IMUSA Training Ride

This weekend was an IMUSA training camp in Luray, planned by Coaches CD and MB, to knock off one of our long bike rides.

Friday afternoon, TRIboy MR and I drove up together on the quiet country roads behind farm vehicles and through field after field of cows and goats. We both needed to head out after Saturday's bike for separate obligations - leaving us with mixed emotions (while we looked forward to our other events, we also knew we would be missing the post workout celebration and an open water swim opportunity).

Arriving at the Luray house, we quickly unloaded the car. TRIgirls KB, SS and LD had dinner cooking as we checked out the house (nothing fancy, but comfortable and clean). It had a nice layout for large groups, from the big dining area to a game room to a unique bedroom with four (yes, four) oversized bunk beds.

We broke out the snacks, wine and beer as the lasagna boiled away in the oven, smelling quite yummy. Gathering around the dinner table, folks shared stories and memories of recent workouts - and we checked out the map and elevations for the upcoming bike ride. TRIgirl CD had comparative profiles to both the Blue Ridge and IMUSA - basically showing that the BRP had tougher climbs than IMUSA and that the Luray ride looked to be more challenging than the BRP. Thankfully, I did not see any 7-9% grade climbs - so I was hopeful that I would not have to endure another Crabtree experience.

After dinner, the boys built a nice fire in the backyard pit. We chilled outside in the mountain air before a few quick games of Foosball and Ms. Pacman. TRIgirl AM and I were making our beds in the communal bunk room when TRIboy MR noticed there was an empty bedroom. We grabbed the opportunity - and bet the boys were also relieved to be able to relax without any girls around.

TRIgirl AM and I chatted for awhile before I fell into a good sleep, waking up the next morning feeling as ready as I could be for the day's ride.

Skyline Drive was about a half hour from the house. We pulled into Thornton's Gap and prepared for the long bike ride ahead. Literally, within minutes of getting on our bikes, I felt the first raindrops.

It was just a drizzle at first, as I found my own little spot in the group, trying to make up some ground before the descents. The first 5-6 miles of the out and back were sweet - (for whatever reason, I felt like I was flying on this section in either direction). The rain varied from light to steady during the first 26.8 miles - which included tough, long climbs - and downhills that became increasingly scary as the rain came down more heavily.

I was by myself at the turnaround at Dickey's Ridge. I took a short break and reloaded my water bottles. The second part of the out and back seemed harder - the climbs seemed longer. Not to mention the pelting rain. And the wind, thunder and lightening. The rain almost seemed like hail for a few minutes. Parts of the climbs, switchbacks and descents were in thick fog.

I was not a happy camper. As a matter of fact, I was having some interesting internal debates about whether I'd be doing a second loop if the weather conditions continued.

During the second half of the first loop, the rain lightened up. Coach MB and TRIboy RE rode by as I was about to pass some interesting looking dude walking Skyline. I was happy to have their company. Coach MB gave me some good tips to smooth out my pedal stroke while climbing.

The sun started to peek out during the last part of the first loop, giving me some hope - even if the conditions would be a bit steamy until the rain started to dry out.

Back at the parking lot, we ran into TRIboys BB and ERC who were getting ready to start their second loop (after putting in extra miles on the first loop). TRIboy MR had gotten a flat - leaving me time to catch up with different riders while waiting for him to pull into the parking lot so I could reload my bike. I literally jumped with happiness when I realized I had packed extra socks - stripping off the sopping wet ones felt so good! Coach CD and and TRIgirl SK pulled in - and they, once again, amazed me with being able to ride so strongly with major injuries.

Meanwhile, the skies seemed to be clearing - and by the time I started my second loop, I had my fingers crossed that better weather would hold out. Coach MB and TRIboy RE rode by somewhere along the first mile and told TRIboy MR and me to turn back to the parking lot as he wanted to give the rest of the group and us revised options since the course was pretty challenging. Hitting 100 miles was less important than finishing strong.

A few minutes later, I was back on the route. The sunglasses I'd put on with the sun's appearance fogged up frequently with the steamy conditions, especially during the climbs that had me dripping with sweat, instead of rain, this time around.

I chose the option to shoot for a little over 90 miles for the day on the same out and back. Coach MB passed me fairly early on - and I worked to keep him in sight on the climbs. At the turn around, we rode together for awhile. Super speedy TRIgirl KB was on the course for the full second loop - when she hadn't passed us by the top of the biggest hill, we pulled over and waited - hoping she wasn't waiting for someone at the original turn around.

After awhile, we decided I should head back in case we'd need to send out a car to check on things. The last 10 miles were fun - mostly downhill or flat, the weather was finally turning nice. My legs felt better than I expected - though I was very happy to be done with climbing for the day.

Back in the parking lot, TRIboy MR and I hopped in the car to start driving the loop just as TRIgirl KB and Coach MB pulled into the parking lot. We both decided to call it day at this point to begin the drive back home.

All in all, a great training experience - a good, long, tough ride that left me feeling challenged, but not too far outside my comfort zone.

4 comments:

Kate said...

You sound so positive now, you will rock IMLP!

tri-ing races not cases said...

I'm so glad you got this great ride under your belt. Exactly what you need to go into IMLP strong. Now we need those same positive vibes for July 3rd!

Unknown said...

You becoming such a stud on that bike!

Tea said...

Each day a little harder and makes you a little stronger. Just wait until you taper. YOu are going to tear up the hills.