CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 21, 2008

Could’ve, Would’ve, Should’ve

I am a little annoyed at myself.

With a bunch of TRIgirls off drinking wine for charity (twinge of jealousy), the lanes were a bit more empty than usual at Wednesday’s Masters class. The remaining attendees were juggled around so that a couple of super speedy swimmers, including TRIgirl KB, were placed in the LoJ2 . Looking at the whiteboard, the theme for the workout was painfully clear - “hard and fast.”

Uh, yeah, fast is not really my thing.

The tough workout started off fairly well. The fast 200 had me wondering if I incorrectly read the clock or calculated the wrong time because the interval seemed too good to be true. The descending 150s made me think I may actually have more than just one speed. For the first set of 3 100s – on an interval that leaves me breathless - I was fortunate to draft off Dr. Joe, finishing with about 15 seconds of rest between 100s.

But it was pretty darn hard and I had to fight to keep that draft off the good doctor.

Then there were a few more challenging speed and non-free sets.

So, when the second set of 3 100s (on an interval that was 5 seconds faster than the first) came around, I chickened out. I jumped behind a girl who I knew would be slower and would allow me a break.

I was quite happy for the first 100. But, as I cruised along comfortably during the next two, I realized I could have pushed harder.

It may not have been pretty – and I may not have hit them all - but I should have at least tried.

I hope next time I'll remember this feeling and won't take the easy way out.

5 comments:

Tea said...

swims can be scary. So, I can relate, but you'll be back and pissed off. I would not want to be in that lane with you when it happens.

Cyndi said...

Geez, that sounds exactly like something I would have written. I don't know what it is that keeps me from going after that dang wizard every time! I, too, am trying to focus on that this year. Of course, I have to get off these stupid crutches first!! Maybe once I'm well we should train together and force eachother to give until we have no more left!!! You know, like the infamous butt-kickin' Eastern Shore ride with the big boys and Coach B crackin' the whip!!! Ahhh, good times!

C

TriGirl Kate O said...

I didn't pay any attention to the intervals, I just tried to stay on your toes. That way I couldn't fall too far behind like last week.

Unknown said...

You are an Ironman. That's the only comment I'm putting on your blog from now on. :-)

Unknown said...

I think you may be a little too hard on yourself, young lady. Hangin' with speedsters Karen & the good doctor for most of the workout is mighty impressive.

sq