CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Weight and Bike Training - Take 1

Yesterday kicked-off our off-season bike training – as well as a series of triathlon specific weight training classes I wanted to try with Maramarc Fitness.

Weight training was first, at 6:00. I walked in, after meeting another newbie in the parking lot, and it was organized chaos. Girls (and I think one lone brave male – it is all a blur now) were scattered about the room, doing a variety of different exercises. Coach M. took pity on new TriGirl M. and me - and showed us the ropes (and the weights, balls, bands, etc.). The class flew by - 3 sets of about 9 exercises and 2 sets of 4 other “core” exercises. My favorite was this rolling thing on the ball – where you hold a medicine ball and rotate from side to side. My least favorite involved a step with five or six rafters – where you do, what might be described as, leg dips holding weights. I had a hard time balancing and “dipping” as far as I should.

No rest for the weary as 7:00 rolled around and it was time for bike training. One of the hardest parts of the class was figuring out how to hook the bike up on the trainer – and then finagling how to get on the bike, which is now like three inches higher than normal and precariously perched on two small wooden blocks. (TriGril DL helped me through that one). Impressively, the entire class was set-up and mounted about ten minutes later. Coach E. in the meantime had put on music – a nice mix of good workout tunes, I might add.

Coach E. shared the goals for the first month – improving our form and bike skills. So, we did quite a bit of counting how many times our right knee came up in 30 seconds at a level 5 (on a scale of 1-10 exertion, not gearing). We were supposed to aim for 40-45 – and I was happily surprised that I was in that range throughout the class. Another drill involved taking one foot out of the clipless pedal at a level 3 and aiming to create a smooth stroke, heels down, pulling and pushing the pedal, with the other. We were all a mess at first, but improved by the end of class. I’m hopeful that all this clipping in and out will improve my confidence (and coordination) with riding on the road with clipless pedals.

About halfway through the workout, I think something went awry with my trainer (though I won’t preclude the possibility of user error) – it felt like when the brake rubs on the tire, combined with some type of weird vibration. All I know is that my virtual smooth paved street turned into a gravel trail.


TriGirl Devil Face commented that the class, even at levels 3-5, seemed harder than a typical road bike ride – which Coach E. said was right on target. She also pointed out, that level 5 at the beginning of class may require a different gear than at the end of class – and earned another gold star.

But, I may qualify for an award of my own down the line. Coach E. said there would be sweat puddle contests (and thankfully, no mention of including elimination, snot or spit). in the future. Considering I was one of the few with tell-tale droplets under my bike, I’m thinking, for once, maybe I’ll be in first place.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Your Trigirls training group sounds totally awesome!

I just wanted to cheer you on, from someone who just did Ironman Florida for her 40th year. It was a ton of fun. You can do it! Have a great year training.

carmen said...

dont look over your shoulder
bc im drafting for the sweat award!
first class was "fun"

Robin said...

Hi from Robin again. Sure, feel free to link my blog. I was thinking it might be fun to start an IronGirlz blog ring or something. When I was training, it was hard to find anything out there in blogland that wasn't more pro oriented. Anyways, let me know what you think...

TriGirl 40 said...

Robin -

Thanks - I've added the link! I like the idea of an IronGirlz blog ring - how can we get one started?

carmen said...

count me in on irongirlz blog ring!!!
today is the last day of classes
so i will be blogsurfing the next couple of weeks!