CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 10, 2006

A TriGirl Day – From Dawn till Dusk (and Beyond)

This past Saturday, I spent approximately 12 out of 16 waking hours with TriGirls.

I woke up around 6:15 to meet at Maramarc for my “running test.” As part of the half/full Ironman programs, TriGirl Training conducts this drill as a baseline for future goals. Since the same test was held last week, I had heard or read about it from other TriGirls, including TriJinx and
Triathlonmom. Before I even started the test, I wondered if it was a “you can’t win/lose” type of situation. The test was to run your best one mile. If you do well and beat a PR – you may be happy with a great test time, but your training goals may be really tough. If you don’t beat a PR during the test, you may be temporarily disappointed, but may have a better chance at surpassing the dependant training goals.

Frigid is probably the best word to describe the weather conditions. Radio reports announced 16-18 degree temperatures. It was COLD. Three TriGirls showed up for the test, which included a warm up jog and a few exercises. Then it was time to run our best mile. Given the cold conditions freezing up my lungs and trachea, combined with the fact I forgot to bring gloves or a hat, I was happy with an 8:40 mile. I’ve only broken a 9:00 mile two other times, with my best 1 mile being an 8:15. So, I was satisfied with this time – since while under that 9:00 mile barrier, it would hopefully give me a buffer when the subsequent training goals were figured out.

We headed back to Maramarc around 7:25, with icicles dangling off our hair, to set up for the 8:00 bike class. TriGirl Molly Who? and I set up our bicycles at a leisurely pace (well, Coach B. really was kind enough to set up mine) as we tried to defrost. The bike training class started on time, and in addition to the drills practiced earlier in the week, we also spent quite a bit of time “working it” in a much higher gear. My bike trainer device was more reliable than the one I used during Take 1 – and my sweat puddles were even more impressive.

After finishing, a group of TriGirls followed up the challenging hour of bike training with a run. Since we ran the mile test while it was practically still dark, TriGirl Molly Who? and I only had to do three miles, though the rest of the group was supposed to do four. It had warmed up to somewhere in the 20-30 degree range – and it felt good to loosen up the quads after a tough bike workout.

At last, we were able to enjoy the rewards of completing a good workout with TriGirl coffee, so we drove about 200 yards to the nearest Starbucks to order something yummy and warm. We took over the joint for about an hour, with our TriGirl attire and post workout excitement.

I left TriGirl coffee around 11:00 to do a few errands and to go home to clean up. I needed to be back at Maramarc around 2:00 for a TriGirl informational clinic. So a few hours later and hopefully smelling better, I was back to Maramarc to hear Coach G and Doctor TS present about the female triathlete. There was a nice turnout of current and potential TriGirls. The class went on a little longer than I had anticipated, but well worth the time – between hearing the informative presentations and exciting stories from the new women triathletes.

Around 4:00ish, I was driving back home to get ready for my work party. My husband and I arrived fashionably late for the office party – which really was the best outing we’ve had in a few years. TriGirls LD and KW work with me – so though not an official TriGirl outing, I was still spending quality time with “the girls.”


The office party was still going strong, karaoke and all, after its official 9:00 end time. Just before 10:00 PM, my husband and I headed out to TriGirl KO’s holiday party. TriGirl KO is studying to be an interior designer – and has a gorgeous home. The party was in full swing when my husband and I arrived, meeting up with Coach G, Coach M (her husband), TriGirl JH and her husband, TriGirl MJW and her sweet new beau, TriGirl CS and her husband, TriGirl AM and her fiancé - and TriGirls Devil Face and RW. We (well at least I) partied hard for the next few hours, though thankfully we were on the road to my bed before 12:00 AM. I was pretty tired at this point, but felt really fortunate to have been a part of such a great, packed day!

0 comments: