CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Best Excuse

I skipped yesterday’s run.

I could blame it on Thanksgiving preparations or the chilly weather, but actually there was a much better reason.

Earlier in the week, my husband told me about a party Sunday afternoon in Norfolk. We hit the road around 4 o’clock and about an hour and a half later, arrived at a huge and lovely home. Only a few cars were parked, so I wondered if we had the right time. We rang the bell, and a young guy answered the door – and my husband called him by a different name than the friend we were going to see. I thought, "Could this be the friend’s son?"

The house was beautiful inside, too. But there were no people. I started mumbling something, when the “friend’s son” said, “I don’t think she gets it” and my husband responded “no, she thinks this is a party.” Then the cutest little white furball was picked up – and I understood – my husband surprised, and I mean really surprised, me with a new puppy.

It was the best Christmas present ever.

We took the little guy home and tried to think of names. My husband wanted something manly and tough (the pup is a Bichon and will probably only get to be about 10-12 pounds). I suggested, mostly joking, “Ironman” and my husband rolled his eyes. The furball was sooo good on the ride, cuddling the whole way. No accidents – and the only time he got scared was when we went through a tunnel.

He did really well when introduced to his big fursister, the Butt. We finally picked a name – Fezzik (fuzzy Fezzy, the Fezzster).


Both furkids continue learning about each other. There have been a few really cute moments, Fezzy chewing on the Butt’s tail, the Butt trying to hump Fezzy in alpha dog fashion, only to discover he was too little, Fezzy nibbling on the Butt’s ear, the Butt running back and forth from the door to our back room to let me know Fezzy was in his crate and crying.

I took “furternity” leave for a few days (nice that it is a short week) and worked from home when I didn’t have meetings. An announcement was sent to family and friends about the newest addition. My parents, brother and his new wife are coming down in a few days and can’t wait to see their new furgrandchild/furnephew.

So anyway, yesterday morning I was supposed to go for a run before work. I woke up, with the Butt curled up by my feet and little Fezzik sleeping soundly in the crook of my neck (he is really little) – and said – think this will be a guilt-free, off season, skip a workout day.

I enjoyed every moment not running.

1 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

What an awesome husband!