CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Decision

Back to the blog’s purpose. Ironman Florida.

For me, this was a personal decision, though the encouragement from my triathlon training group (TriGirls!) coaches and support of my husband definitely helped. But in the long run (no pun intended), I had to consider whether, as Coach G. remarked, only I would know if this was the right time, or, as she countered, would I really want to wait another year? I had to be ready to commit a nice chunk of change and quite a bit of my free time (which means figuring out how to fit in training hours with what can be a crazy work schedule and already limited opportunities for free time, family, my furkid, friends, and my other favorite hobby – wine (OK, I always seem to fit that one in)).

I’d already signed up for a half IM next year – and boy it would have been nice to have that race under my belt - but IMs fill up a year in advance. It was either now or two years from now at the earliest.

So, why did I find myself, sitting anxiously at my computer on November 5th, between calls to and from other TriGirls, panicking about whether I would be able to submit my registration online before it filled up?

  • Because I turn 40 next year.
  • Because Coach S. has offered to treat us all for post race IM tattoos (pink, of course).
  • Because I am in TriGirls, an awesome women’s triathlon training group that has helped me believe this is a possible dream.
  • Because I’ve seen the exuberance of friends, colleagues and my training coaches who have completed IMs.
  • Because I’ve been fascinated about Ironman races since I first saw one on TV and made it a lifetime goal to finish a triathlon (thinking sprint distance at the time).
  • Because I was that chubby girl who was excused occasionally from gym class because I had asthma.
  • Because I went from finishing last in my age group at my first triathlon race, to finishing in the top 50% at my latest race.
  • Because IMFL is a flat and fast course. I am not a fan of steep hills (especially because I’m still getting used to clipless pedals).
  • Because I am grateful to have a healthy and strong body – look at the obstacles that many Ironmen competitors have overcome – cancer, amputations, lung replacements – and of course the ever inspiring Team Hoyt stories. There are a few pretty inspiring stories from TriGirls, too.
  • Because it will be the biggest challenge I have ever chosen to undertake.

Side note: All but one of the interested TriGirls and coaches were able to sign-up online for IMFL on November 5th. The only person whose submit button took too long was Coach G., which just seems so unfair. We’re all looking into options to make sure she is on the course with us next year.

0 comments: