CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Can Turkeys Run Uphill?

I love the concept behind the Turkey Trot – going for a run with family and friends to free up some calories before the big feast. Last year, I did my first one in New York – with my brother and his wife (fiancée at the time). We had a great time, so I was looking forward to this year’s race. My brother and sister-in-law were going to run it again with me, though they ended up sleeping in instead, quite understandable since they arrived late the night before and were both fighting colds. So, there I was, waking early on a rainy and chilly Thanksgiving morning, heading out to U of R, happy that several TriGirls would be out on the course.

As soon as I parked my car, I immediately ran into TriGirl DL. Together, we fumbled around to find the registration area, which was a bit chaotic and not exactly convenient to the parking lot. We did arrive a little on the later side – so we were stuck with the only remaining shirts - which were huge. As we were bringing them back to the car, some guy kept screaming out how many minutes were left to the race starting. We literally just made it to the start seconds before the race began – and were literally in the last row.

I had heard that the U of R course was very hilly. TriGirl “Little Dickens” reminded me to hold back a bit on the early hills because I’d need some energy at the end. The first hill started right after the first turn. I thought I was going to be in big trouble – hills are not my friend. I made it up the first one just slightly out of breath and told myself I’d run up as many as I could – but would give myself permission to walk further along in the race if needed. And the rest of the 10K was truly a series of ups and downs through the pretty university course (I swear it seemed like more ups). I plugged my way up the next, then the one after that, wow, then another, here we go again, surprising myself, not only because I was still running up the hills, but also because I was actually almost enjoying the challenge. I saw several other TriGirls on the race – Devil Face, KO, looking strong! Before I knew it there was one more long last uphill (I was done with enjoying the hills at this point) – then a great downhill to the finish line, where TriGirls were cheering from the sidelines – and TriGirl MJW (our speed demon) ran me in – pushing me to a strong (for me) finish.

A few of the TriGirls headed out right after the race to begin their holidays, but six of us were able to tailgate for a few minutes, enjoying some celebratory bloodies and glogg.


I am still not even close to fast, but was really happy with this race – not only because I am pretty sure I had a PR for a 10K, but also because of overcoming some of my mental and physical issues with hills.

Don't hold me to it, but who knows, maybe the next time a hill workout is announced – I won’t even groan.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

3 comments:

carmen said...

yay
hills tomorrow at 7 am

TriGirl 40 said...

Groan. LOL. I am going to try to make it if the hubby and I can work out taking care of Fezzster.

carmen said...

ps
who is the hottie
wearing shorts at the trot
hahahahaha