CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 05, 2010

Tour de Central Virginia

In the past 105ish hours, I've put in approximately 175 miles on the bike and rode through parts of at least six counties. During my own little Tour de Central Virginia, I've learned a few things:

  1. I have no sense of direction and should never, ever lead. In three out of the four rides, I made a wrong turn. Thursday night, I took the Traffic Connoisseur on a great tour of the Carmax parking lot (which dead ends, by the way). Then, at Pink Feet's Saturday's pancake bike through the 'ville, I ended up riding two hours by myself after getting dropped by the lead group and losing my cue sheet (still had an awesome ride - and am very grateful for the Droid Map's application). During yesterday's ride with SuperAnnn, I heard "next left" instead of "this left" after passing our right turn to finish our Goochland loop.
  2. I may have an issue with cocky stranger bike dudes. Lots of men pass me during bike rides. Most are polite and wave or say "hi." But those that ride by without even a nod kind of annoy me. Sometimes I have to jump on their wheels for a stretch.
  3. The IM base is starting to come back - at least for the bike. With three months before MightyMan and four months before Beach to Battleship, I'm logging in some miles. While Ironwoman Canada's double (and this week, triple) long bike days have been challenging, they are building up saddle calluses, neck muscles - and even my gushy quads. I only wish I had been smart enough to schedule a massage for this week.
  4. My tri/bike friends rock. Totally. Over these last few days, I've spent large chunks of time with amazing folks. I've looked forward to each ride because of their smiles, generosity, encouragement, joy, passion, talent and friendship.

5 comments:

tri-ing races not cases said...

Was fun riding with you this weekend! Had a total blast on both of my rides. Looking forward to many more.

Real Deal said...

I'm gonna have to find that pink paint for B2B! And give you an extra queue sheet next time in the 'Ville! Seriously, you are looking strong on the bike and will be surprised in a few short months when it all pays off.

Annn said...

For the record, I actually said, "Turn around at Hermitage." And the turn was on the right side.

You looked great out there! Thanks for letting me play for an hour or so of your nine hour fun!

Robin said...

That sounds like a lot of fun (wrong turns and all!)

Diane said...

You are the best!!!!