CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Not So Fast...

This was the week.

The week I would return to the running world.

I took a premature jump by going to track on Monday - my first track workout since before Christmas. And my first run outdoors, on my full body weight, since the "test runs" when hoping for a stress reaction.

I've been running on the g-trainer faithfully, increasing the amount of body weight over the past five weeks from 20-75%.

And, after Monday, I can tell you that last 25% makes a difference. (Now if I can just lose like 30 something pounds, maybe I'd have a chance of running at the pace I've grown accustomed to on the g-trainer.)

Track was hard. My foot was stiff. My pacing was off. Toward the end, it started to feel a little more natural, but it was a bit of an eye opener. I have some work to do.

Fast forward to Tuesday - and my doctor's visit to check out the foot and discuss the "back to run" regime. Ironwoman Canada kindly came with me to hear the plan.

For some reason, I thought I'd be back up to 8 miles by the end of March.

Not so. I'm supposed to run, very slowly, 3 times this week for 20 minutes (plus an hour and a half on the g-trainer), then 30-40 minutes per week (plus 2 hours on the g-trainer) for the next 3 weeks, gradually building up some speed.

I am going to be a good bit behind my Lake Placid training mates with running come April.

Patience...

7 comments:

Coachhrd said...

It's good to get back to the routine of the warmer weather. We're still waiting in Iowa!

Unknown said...

Patience...and baby steps. :)
You'll get there - just follow the doctor's orders.

tri-ing races not cases said...

Patience grasshopper! You may be a little bit behind in the running but you are kickin some butt in the swim and bike and still building your overall fitness. No worries! Although my secret wish was to have you running at Pocohontas with me next weekend :)

Kate said...

From someone who knows the pain, take it slow, it's very easy to reinjure when your biomechanics are out of whack. Good luck, and remember you can walk the marathon if you have to.

Anonymous said...

Patience is a virtue! At least the doctors are saying it's within the realm of possibility! Just listen to them, and what your body tells you, and you will be just fine.

kodiacbear said...

New Here and just saying Hi-hang tight and it will return...better than ever and its worth it!!

Anonymous said...

amazing you're using the G-Trainer (from Alter-G) thing. Lots of rumors and stories floating around about failures in the field, no UL listing, no CE listing, machines having to be replaced because of everything from rusted parts to pressure failures. Were you scared?