CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Interesting

Like many of my training friends - I love gadgets and analysis.

Now - keep in mind - I know I am a back-packer. No gadget or analysis is ever going to be enough to get me to place in a race.

Yet, I still love the whole "thinking" and "playing" part of training.

TRIgirl BL has a much coveted new Gamin GPS system on her bike - which provides like fifteen different readings all on one screen while navigating your ride.

My husband poo poos it all - saying he doesn't get it - claiming he never even had a bike computer (though I swear he did).

Today, I had a bike fitting. It wasn't my first, as I had one soon after buying Patriot Sangria and before IMFL - but Ironwoman Canada highly recommended one of her bike guys, Les.

And being the training dork I am - I jumped at the chance to meet with Les...

Overall, my settings were not bad. Though, I did find out:

  • My left leg is shorter than the right. My bike is best fitted for my shorter leg, so I am missing a bit of power from my stronger right leg. I may need a "lift" in one of my bike shoes.
  • Speaking of which, the cleats on my shoes...
    (OK - little sidebar. Ever since Christmas, my left foot was not staying in my clipless pedals during hard pushes, big hills or one legged drills. I was a bit of a slacker about figuring it out - but did eventually realize that I had completely worn off the cleat lip - by comparing the left cleat to my right. The bike store dudes were practically laughing at me when I brought the cleat in to replace it.)
    ...were set up for grinders - which I am by nature - but working to overcome by increasing my cadence. Les moved the cleat placement for"spinning" - and wow - I noticed a difference immediately.
  • My aerobar settings were a bit screwy - probably partially my fault when putting my bike back together after Oklahoma - but also part inherited when I bought a used bike. Les hacksawed off about an inch of my aerobars, tilted the headset and moved the elbow pads so now I am more relaxed and less contorted in aero.
  • Ten speed cartridge and compact crank (and related stuff) upgrades will help me with the Blue Ridge and Lake Placid climbs. Though I also found out my legs are on the longer side - as the compact crank Les brought with him based on my height was too short. So more adjustments will be coming.

Half the stuff Les talked about while he punched numbers on his calculator was over my head - but the other half was a great learning experience. And I can't wait to try out the tweaks on next week's Osborne ride. Right, outdoor weekend posse?

Now if I can just finagle that cool GPS Garmin...

4 comments:

tri-ing races not cases said...

I think a test on the Three Sisters would really allow you to see the difference :) LOL! Ok, Osborn it is.

Annn said...

Why can't we do both???

Welcome back to the bloggie world! I missed you tremendously.

Unknown said...

Wow - that sounds like it was a very cool update fitting!

p.s Seagull Century is very flat - it's in Salisbury, MD. I think the course is a lot like Eagleman's...I think you'd love it. :)
We can spin along...stop at the snack areas...and just generally enjoy riding the scenery...

Diane said...

DAMN. Now I'll never be able to keep up with you!