CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Trust or Acceptance or Some Other Thing

I've run twice since the doctor's orders.

The first time seemed promising. The second was, uhmmm, just OK.

Now I find myself hobbling along again. It could be the miserable rain surrounding Richmond, or...

That's the thing. Am I wimping out after feeling a little pain or am I pushing it too far?

After emails and calls with Coach G and Ironwoman Canada, I've decided not to risk it.

No running for now.

I did the elliptical this morning - and think it went well as a substitute.

But what I really want is for someone to check out my foot and tell me the deal; the confirmed diagnosis and the perfect prescription. To say to suck it up if I am being too cautious - or to tell me that if I let the dang thing heal - all will be good in X number of weeks.

I want definites.

But I don't think they are out there.

And now I just feel a twinge of regret for all the negative running comments I've made over the years.

I want my stupid, healthy, happy and slow limbs to be able to pound the pavement without worry.

At least until after IMUSA.

9 comments:

katebott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katebott said...

I felt the same way for so long about my foot also. It is not fun. I kept wondering if it was just an acceptable level of pain and if I was just being a wimp. It's hard being in that limbo... the only thing that made me "feel better" was getting the MRI and the official prognosis and plan in place. Trust Coach G and your body :0)

Kate said...

It is a very difficult to know for sure but better to be cautious I think. I did not have that much pain, just a constant dull ache. Injuries can be deceptive. What about a second opinion?

TriGirl 40 said...

Thank you both for the feedback - you helped me make the decision to schedule and MRI - working on that now.

Thanks again for the caring thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Definitely get the MRI, but make sure you "trust" the reader as well. The MRI is only as good as the person who reads it. Good luck, and I hope the MRI gives you a definite plan.

Diane said...

So sorry to hear about your ongoing foot trivals but also wanted to let you know that i love the new look of your blog! It is almost as cute as you are. :)

Anonymous said...

Definitely get the MRI. Cannot run the risk of further damage. And yes, you must have a top orthopedic person review your results. As in all things...injuries, illnesses etc. - no two are the same. There is no way your are a wimp! If discomfort dissipates after pushing and then goes away, or progressively lessens as you train properly, you have a shot at pushing. If not, as my good friend and yours, Jan, would say....you have to 'respect what's happening' and all will be revealed and put into place. A hug from the 'Dancing Mom.'

Robin said...

Injuries stink, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. As triathletes, it's hard to know when to stop pushing on sometimes. I hope you heal up fast, and the time off of running isn't too difficult for you.

I love your new blog look, so cute!

tri-ing races not cases said...

Definitely the MRI!