CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 19, 2009

I Want to Ride My Bicycle...

I want to ride my bike...

That Queen classic has popped into my head a few times the past few days.

Since I can't run or even elliptical for a few more weeks, I am spending more time biking and swimming.

Sigh, such a shame. [wink, wink].

This weekend started out with frigid temperatures and a just under 3 hour trainer ride - graciously hosted by TRIgirl BL and Barracuda BN - and in the esteemed company of TRIgirl DL and Mr. GG.

We gathered together a little later in the day, which always makes me happy - though traipsing the darn trainer, Patriot Sangria and all my other crap is a whole 'nother workout (especially wearing "da boot"). I also realized that I've historically probably set-up my trainer a few turns easier on the tension than Mr. GG kindly sherpaed mine prior to our virtual loop of the IMUSA course.




But soon, we were following Coach Troy through Lake Placid. Coach Troy was very encouraging, as he coaxed us to catch his wheel and spin at ridiculously high cadences during downhills I'd normally be coasting and desperately engaging my brakes. Not to mention the cadences he expected while in the big gears while simulating the climbs through the Hazelton hills and the Three Bears. As TRIgirl CJ noted, Coach Troy provokes the worst of "Training Tourettes," evidenced by the involuntary expulsion and explosion of four letter words.

Let's just say, while I couldn't meet all of Coach Troy's expectations, my quads were quivering by the end of the ride. Thank goodness for a glass of wine, soothing food and great company during a post workout refueling at the Tavern.

Sunday, with temperatures above freezing, I struggled with wanting to join the outdoor posse vs. knowing I would be tired trying to ride two days in a row. I have to say, I don't remember my legs ever being so weary before a ride, but minutes into our trek to Ashland, it did not matter. I was surrounded by the beautiful outdoors and the great energy of my riding mates - REB60, POPSCR, TRIDi and TRIgirl Annn. TRIgirl Annn (who has graced me with a very cool nickname) lead the pack, at a challenging pace, to Ashland - and REB60 and POPSCR carried us back home.

I've heard some of my training mates talk about how they are happy to get their workouts done early in the day, leaving the rest of their day open. But for me - a bike ride with great people is something I look forward to - a special indulgence my lifestyle offers me.

I love my fellow weekend riders, especially the outdoor diehards. I can't imagine a better way to spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon - other than figuring out how to add adult beverages to our cool down. (Glogg or Blackbirds anyone?)

8 comments:

Annn said...

I thought we were drinking "blackberries" or was it "iPhones."

Nevertheless, I am so buying the Lake Placid adventure after reading this! We can set up our trainers in the parking lot and put the video up in the back of my car.

tri-ing races not cases said...

Should have joined you for another ride versus my long run! So glad you could join us on Saturday morning. We'll have to face Troy again on a rainy or cold day.

Kate said...

Good for you for staying so positive. I'd love to join you one of these days.

Coachhrd said...

Looks like fun. We have a group that meets on Wednesday mornings for a long spin class, then a group that meets for a long run on Saturday mornings. I LOVE getting together with this group and look forward to it, but being confined indoors during winter months really SUCKS. You do what you can do!

Unknown said...

Adult beverages FTW! Yes, you guys are great to ride with...I just wish I could talk and pedal like you guys.

Robin said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I definitely envy you having a bevy of friends to train with! I'm trying very hard to get hubby to get an extra trainer so he can join me on indoor rides.

Anonymous said...

I just bought the insufferably peppy Coach Troy Lake Placid tape for Jeff! I enjoy the Arizona one much more though (another virtual ride). I'm not a hill fan!

Diane said...

Love the outdoor posse even in freezing cold weather!!!