CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 05, 2009

Happy New Year!

OK, much like my race times, my blogging is a bit behind. Hope everyone had a fun New Year's Eve and a great start to 2009.

I am feeling hopeful for the New Year. As a matter of fact, I think my word for 2009 will be "Hope." Last year's "Believe" will probably always be a biggie for me, but the next twelve months may need to embrace a bit more hope with a dash of luck thrown in for good measure.

Right now, I am clinging to some lucky hope or hopeful luck while heading into IMUSA training. After going to the doctor last week, my foot is most likely experiencing a "stress injury," often a precursor to the dreaded stress fracture. My treatment at the moment includes a scaled down running plan (no more than 10 miles per week or 4 miles per run) and wearing "stiff" shoes (you should see the oh-so-sexy BOC's I'll be sporting for the next few weeks). I need to check in again with the doctor for more details, but Shamrock is probably a no-go. I've run twice, slow and easy, since the doctor's visit. My foot discomfort is noticeable, but not painful. And I am OK with that. Especially since I seem to be able to bike and swim to my heart's content.

Like I did this past New Year's weekend. Good friends opened up their beautiful Nags Head home to the hubby and me, TRIgirl BL and Barracuda BN - and another fun, active couple. While I was thankful to have missed some of the feats of strength (including the push-up contest), I was incredibly happy to be able to participate in the Wii games (did you know I am an awesome Wii bowler after a few glasses of wine?), ping-pong tournament (did you know I totally suck at ping-pong when sober) and two incredible bike rides. Oh, and let me tell you about the rock star rider who ventured out both days on some upright hybrid contraption, wearing sneakers and lacking even cages. She pedaled along furiously keeping up with the rest of us as we cruised along on our cutting edge bicycles for a good chunk of both rides. Well, other than when the gauntlet was thrown down during the home stretch of the second ride - and I desperately pushed myself to stay on the wheel of TRIgirl SJG as she followed the boys' lead at about 22-23 miles per hour.

Here is to a happy, healthy and hopeful 2009!

3 comments:

Coachhrd said...

Got pretty well-versed on the Wii myself over the holiday season. It's a video game adults don't get intimidated over. Also got motivated to participate in a tri training group over the next ten weeks. Yippee!

tri-ing races not cases said...

I am loving the new look so far! I am HOPING that it will be a great year for you!

Anonymous said...

I hope, too, that your foot heals properly. Jeff seems to be living on hope these days, too.
Wii on wiiiine. Hmmmm. Have to give that one a try.