CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Thresholds

After you've trained for an endurance race, I wonder if your workout perceptions become skewed?

I remember when a three mile run seemed tough.

Feeling justified in consuming decadent post race breakfeasts after my first few sprint triathlons.

Taking naps after three hour bike/run bricks.

Today, with understanding family in town, turned out to be a four hour workout. My brother and sister-in-law even joined me for the swim leg.

Four hours - seems to be what it takes - to rev up the hungry belly monster, to wish for a nap, to feel "worked out."

I've missed this feeling.

3 comments:

TriGirl Kate O said...

And we've missed you. Haven't seen you in so long.

I agree 100%--nothing beats post-workout food/naps!

Tea said...

YES! Your perception changes! Saturday I had a 1700m swim, and all I could think of was "oh a nice short swim". But 4 years ago, I couldn't even swim 25!

Then, you look at how you've hit certain thresholds....I remember the first time I ever ran 13 miles and the pain....now 13 miles is nothing.

We ARE AMAZING!!!!
GIRL POWER! YEAH!

Anonymous said...

(found you via Jonah and I think fatgirl)

It is interesting listening to non competing friends and colleagues who have a different perception

"A 3 mile run? Thats not very far"

Yeah right and your comparing that to driving 3 miles in the car....