CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 22, 2008

The "Just Do What You Can" Workout

For various reasons, the past two weeks included a couple of missed workouts. Some of the reasons were fun - like having family in town. Some of the reasons were stressful - like a few very long work days.

The hump day was Wednesday, which started with hectic last minute tasks to pull off an open house/services showcase at work - which was planned for that evening - which continued with post event celebrating with staff and corporate bigwigs - and ended with me waiting around 1:00 in the morning to have the boot removed off my car because I parked in the wrong spot in our parking garage when dropping off wine and beer 17 hours earlier.

Needless to say, I missed Wednesday's swim.

Thursday, I was exhausted. I convinced myself to attempt a six mile run and an hour on the trainer but lowered my expectations to just keeping one foot in front of the other. After the first two miles of my run, I had to push myself to continue after seeing some pretty pitiful paces.

But then something weird happened. The guilt that drove me to start my workout was replaced with relief to be outside, even though it was cold and damp, and acceptance of whatever it was my body was willing to do. Strangely enough, without consciously trying, the paces for the last four miles picked-up.

The hour on the trainer was solid - not my best, but enough of a workout to leave my legs feeling a little tight and tired.

The overall exhaustion was still lurking behind the scenes as I started nodding off around 9:00 that evening.

After a great night's sleep, my battery has begun recharging. I'm looking forward to riding tomorrow with TriDi, Popsrcr and REB60. I'm almost looking forward to running 10 miles this weekend. And I'm itching to get back into the pool!


Next week's schedule looks promising for getting back on track.

But I am oddly satisfied with yesterday's less than stellar workout.





2 comments:

Tea said...

Don't you love it when that happens? I've been trapped inside so much, and I just want to run or ride outside! Looks like Sunday will be MY day. :)

Jonah Holland said...

Good for you! I'm so happy it's all falling into place. A good run always makes you feel better!