CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Maybe Not My Best Brick

Yesterday's 30 mile bike and 8 mile run probably wasn't my best brick. The paces for the bike and run, when I actually biked and ran, were not bad. But I seemed to find many ways to stall and break-up the workout:

  • Before brick begins, talk to Coach B about IM CDA. Fiddle with Patriot, water bottles, food. Move Amarone from backseat to bike rack. TRIgirl KB said she'd be coming by to test her out. TRIgirl Annnn asks me if I am going to ride sometime today - hop on the bike and go.
  • About halfway through the bike, pull into parking lot, look for TRIgirl KB. Don't see her, continue ride.
  • After the bike, run into TRIgirl KB. Amarone is too big for her, too. TRIgirl JH had expressed interest as her husband is looking for a bike. Pack Amarone into her van to give him a chance to try it out.
  • Complain about running to Coach B.
  • TRIgirl DL heads out on the run, telling me she'll meet me later.
  • Eat Gu. Drink cold water kindly offered by TRIgirl Annnn.
  • Put on visor, reset Garmin, head out.
  • Forget fuel belt. Go back, put it on. Head out again.
  • Forgot IPOD. Go back, put it on. Head out again.
  • Forgot to body glide. Go back, put some on. Finally head out to begin run for real.
  • At mile two, catch up with TRIgirl DL - who was ready for a water break. Sounds good. Stop. Drink. Decide to continue with her plan to stop at every mile for hydration.
  • Heat picks up.
  • Around mile 4, run into TRIgirls SD, MW (Happy 40th birthday!), AF, TD and TB. Stop and talk for a few minutes. Decide to run the rest together.
  • Humidity worsens.
  • Stop at mile 5 to buy cold water, refill water bottles. Sit by picnic tables for awhile to gossip, chat, complain about heat.
  • Stop at mile 7 to walk up nasty Capital One hill. Too hot.
  • Finish run - 1:25 time for 8 miles actually ran. Probably covered over 9 miles including walking - and probably took close to two hours factoring in all the breaks.

So maybe this was more a sponge than a brick.

2 comments:

Jonah Holland said...

Considering the heat, I'd say you got that brick just about right!

When I got to work after Saturday's workout, my coworker said, "you weren't out there running in this were you!" I said, "no, of course not, I'm not crazy, but my teamates are!"
.....Love you guys! You rock!

Melissa said...

the heat as intense!! i, too, was a bit slack on the run in order to pevent passing out! you were allowed to take it a bit easy. at least you were out there giving it a shot! so pat yourself on the back for that.