CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Good News in the Mail

For the second time since beginning this Ironman journey, my mailbox has greeted me with more than just bills and paperspam. The other day, an envelope from my aunt and uncle caught my attention. I opened it to find a supportive note and a news clip called "Women find unity, strength at triathlons." A few months ago, the day before leaving for Eagleman, another article from my sister-in-law, "The growing allure of the Ironman race" seemed like a perfectly timed cheer of encouragement.

Some great information can be found in these articles.

From "The growing allure..."
"There's this sport called triathlon. There's this event called the Ironman."
"'After almost not letting me do the Ironman in 2001, saying it is not safe, my mom came up to Lake Placid to watch me,' says Rich Barkan of Long Beach. 'She had such a great time that now we go up for the race even if I'm not doing it. She's out there cheering.'"
"Time is not on the side of Ironman athletes. Even the experienced triathletes must train 20 hours a week over several months. This doesn't stop people with no tri background from taking the challenge."

From "Women find unity..."
"Triathlons can do that: turn ordinary middle-age women into passionate, can't-stop-me-now athletes." (This might be my favorite!)
"That's where you really get the community feel amongst women in our sport, when they're supporting a cause that is very close to them."
"The nonthreatening atmosphere of women-only events makes them attractive to novices and nonjocks. The emphasis is on testing one's mental and physical fortitude, enjoying a sense of accomplishment and just crossing the finish line -- not necessarily finishing first."

But, for me, the articles are more than just interesting and relevant words on newsprint. Someone I loved took the time to not only read the article, but thought of me and what I am trying to do, found their scissors to carefully cut out its jigsaw like borders, included a handwritten note, smacked a postage stamp on the envelope and sent their discovery to me.

Eventually, these news clips will work their way into a scrapbook I'm planning to put together, with the stack of photos accumulating by the computer, of the TRIgirl experiences and the Ironman training moments caught on film.

In the meantime, they will travel with me in my pocketbook over the next few months - something that will catch my eye as I rummage for change or keys - and will be a welcome reminder of the support I am fortunate to have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DB,

I love it! Thank you for sharing...

~LD

Jonah Holland said...

It is so cool that your aunt and uncle took the time to send that to you.
I fear that my aunts and uncles are just plain dumbfounded by the whole thing. It is so far beyond their grasp that they dare not try to understand -- why? or how?
Still, i know they are proud.
What I like most about this post is how much you love that they cut it out for you. They are lucky to have such a greatful niece.

Robin said...

It's awesome that you have such supportive family! And the energy among women joining the sport is really amazing. Just this week, I talked with several women who did their first race this year. Just read that USAT membership is over 30% women, when in 1990 it was 8%. Awesome!

But in that other article - twenty hours a week for several months??? Yikes. I never put in even *one* twenty hour week training for Ironman. Obviously I forgot to read the manual, LOL.